This National Guard position is for a SUPV IT SPECIALIST (PLCYPLN), Position Description Number D1860and is part of the AL HQ 226 CCG, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
ALABAMA AIR NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Alabama Air National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Alabama Air National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
This position is located at the Headquarters, Communications Group (CG) of the Air National Guard. This position provides leadership and management to the Group Headquarters, and multiple Combat Communications Squadrons. Additionally, depending on location, group commanders may be responsible for squadrons whose missions include Air Traffic Control (ATC), Engineering Installation (EI), and Space Operations. In many cases one squadron is collocated with the Group and the other squadrons are geographically separated and may be a combination on in-state and out of state units.
The mission of the Group and Squadrons is to provide peacetime manpower, equipment, facilities, and training in order to prepare units for assigned wartime missions and homeland security/natural disaster response support mission. The Headquarters wartime tasking is battle management; deploying to support an Air Force Forces (AFFOR) Commander or Air Operations Center (AOC). Combat Communications Squadrons provide tactical communications support to a deployed flying wing. An Engineering Installation Squadron provides engineering and installation services for fixed facility communications systems.
EXCEPTED POSITION: Alabama Air National Guard membership required.
POSITION STATUS: TEMPORARY PROMOTION NTE 3 YEARS
LOCATION: 226TH CCG, MONTGOMERY, AL
SELECTING OFFICIAL: COL J. NEWTON
AREA OF CONSIDERATION FOR ALABAMA AIR NATIONAL GUARD POSITION:
AREA 1: All permanent Alabama Air National Guard civilian excepted technicians currently employed.
As a SUPV IT SPECIALIST (PLCYPLN), GS-2210-14, you will perform the following duties:
(1) Responsible for operational training and mission accomplishment of multiple diverse squadrons, with a drill status guard military population typically in excess of 900 personnel located across several states, comprised of multiple units whose installations are geographically separated. Accountable to a wide variety of federal, state, and local authorities on all aspects of operations, personnel, equipment, funds, environmental compliance and real property management.
(2) Determines unit goals and establish the foundation for short and long range planning and execution of all unit programs - directly and through subordinate staff officers and aligned detachment commanders. Formulates policy and provides command perspective for mission and programmatic changes affecting the Headquarters and/or aligned units. Provides focus for all unit functions and activities. Considers factors such as current and future mission needs, political climate, environmental considerations, area demographics, radio frequency spectrum availability, tactical training location accessibility, and other local limitations when developing unit goals to support national and state military strategies.
(3) Responsible for managing the Group wartime mission training program. Ensures Unit Type Code (UTC) training meets requirements and achieves combat readiness objectives. Ensures Group augmentation personnel are combat ready to support an AFFOR/AOC. Maintains mission readiness and complies with service directives as validated by the Unit Compliance Inspection process by the MAJCOM Inspector General and other reviewing agencies. Demonstrates readiness and mission capability through detailed Air Force Operational Readiness Inspections (ORIs).
(4) Responsible to ensure the availability of mission capable AFFOR/AOC augmentation UTCs, for aligned capabilities which includes Communications-Electronics, Engineering Installation, Space Operations, and/or Air Traffic Control. Ensures Group assets are ready to meet training and Air Force contingency requirements. Monitors adequacy of maintenance, supply management, and equipment repair processes.
(5) Responsible for formulating, justifying, presenting, and executing multi-million dollar Operations and Maintenance (O&M), Military Personnel (MILPERS) and Environmental Management budgets, including both federal and state appropriated funds. Ensures logistics plans, supply inventory levels, and stock fund authorizations are adequate to support unit activity levels and meet mobilization/mobility and wartime requirements. Ensures the propriety, accuracy and timeliness of procurement/contracting and payroll activities.
(6) Responsible for the management of the Group real property management program, which includes facility planning and construction, facility maintenance and repair, facility utilization and modification, land use planning, future mission planning, and environmental compliance. Develops Installation Master Plans, negotiates and approves host-tenant agreements, lease agreements, and facility licenses with both military and civilian agencies.
(7) Responsible for the management of the Group environmental compliance and management program directly and through subordinate staff officers and detachment commanders. Responsible for environmental compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local policies, rules and regulations for all media which includes air, hazardous materials, hazardous waste, waste water, water quality, solid waste, natural and cultural resources, installation restoration program, pesticide management, toxic substance management and petroleum, oil and lubrication management.
(8) Responsible for developing and implementing a variety of federal, state, and local programs to ensure mission effectiveness, including hazard abatement programs; fraud, waste, and abuse programs; health and fitness programs; public affairs programs; and contingency response programs.
(9) Performs the full range of second level supervisory duties and responsibilities. Directs, coordinates, and oversees operations within the Group Headquarters through a subordinate staff of supervisors or work leaders. Ensures manpower authorizations, grades, and specialties are adequate for assigned missions. Maintains military and full time strength through effective recruiting and retention programs. Ensures effectiveness of unit Equal Employment Opportunity Program. Exercises significant responsibilities in dealing with officials of other units or organizations, or in advising management officials of higher rank.
(10) Performs other duties as assigned.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474570400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.