About the Agency
The incumbent serves as a Librarian (Reference Librarian) in the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) Library, Smithsonian Libraries (SIL), Smithsonian Institution (SI) in Washington, DC. The purpose of this position is to provide reference, instruction, and research assistance to curatorial, research, exhibits, and education staff in support of their programs, and to independent researchers using the Library. The Reference Librarian will also perform other functions such as collection development, circulation, and preservation activities as needed. The work requires knowledge of one or more subject-matter specializations in the area of African American history and culture and the African Diaspora.
- Provides comprehensive reference and research services in the specialized disciplines and varied fields in African American history and culture and the African Diaspora, that are of interest to the NMAAHC staff.
- Assists in maintaining the physical integrity of the library with collection maintenance, inventory, digitization planning, de-accessioning, conservation, and general collections care.
- Assists with the collection development activities of the library, helping to identify, select, obtain, organize, and maintain library collections and resources focusing on the subject areas of African American history and culture.
- Assists with outreach efforts that promote collections and services through tours, exhibits, programming, publications, social media, and other electronic means.
- Occasional Travel
- Some travel to other SIL libraries and related collections in the greater Washington area, including Anacostia, Suitland and Landover, MD, may be required; evening and weekend work may also be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
This position is open to current and former Federal employees with permanent status or reinstatement eligibility. Individuals who are eligible for a special appointing authority may also apply; such as applicants with a disability, former Peace Corps volunteers, certain military spouses, veterans seeking a VRA/VEOA appointment, or veterans who have been separated from armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service.
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.