This position is located in the Office Environmental Management (EM) Carlsbad Field Office (CBFO). The U.S. Department of Energy’s Carlsbad Field Office has responsibility for the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) and the National Transuranic (TRU) Program (NTP). WIPP is located in the Chihuahuan Desert of southeastern New Mexico, approximately 26 miles east of Carlsbad, NM. Visit Carlsbad, NM at: www.cityofcarlsbadnm.com. WIPP occupies approximately 28 square kilometers (16 square miles). The facility is used to store TRU waste left over from nuclear weapons research and testing operations from our past defense activities. Project facilities include disposal rooms mined 2,150 feet underground in a 2,000 foot thick salt formation. See more at: www.wipp.energy.gov or Youtube for: “The WIPP Experience”. Come join us in our mission to provide safe, compliant, and efficient characterization, transportation, and disposal of defense-related TRU waste.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the Assistant Manager of the Office of the NTP and as the senior CBFO management official responsible for compliance and programmatic mission to reduce national risk by safely, effectively and securely packaging, certifying and transporting compliant TRU waste from generator sites around the country and permanently emplacing it in a deep geologic repository (WIPP). The NTP is the overall owner and integrator of the National TRU Program including its national and international integration. Responsibilities will primarily be performed through government prime contracts and cooperative agreements, which include planning, scheduling, integrating, and executing mission scope.
**This is an Excepted Service position. This appointment will not confer Competitive Service career-conditional or career tenure status. This means that if you are selected, you would have to compete with other applicants in open competition to meet requirements for another Federal position, unless you meet the requirements for reinstatement. Applicants who voluntarily convert from the competitive service, Senior Executive Service, or other pay systems to a non-time limited appointment under this excepted service authority are not afforded "fallback rights" to the pay system previously assigned prior to conversion.**
As the Assistant Manager for the Office of the NTP, you will:
- Plan, direct and manage the Office of the National TRU Program.
- Serve as a CBFO National TRU Program (NTP) and National TRU Waste Program (NTWP) expert.
- Appraise program management and provide guidance to management effective problem resolution.
- Oversee the effective and efficient delivery of TRU packages.
- Plan and conduct appraisals and surveillances of contractor performance to determine adequacy and provide recommendations for process improvements.
- Develop, manage and implement the CBFO central characterization program to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Develop, manage and implement programs and processes to verify and ensure compliance with the safety analysis for each waste package.
- Plan, coordinate and negotiate shipping corridors and interface with the Office of the Governor in each state and related governmental organizations along the shipping routes.
Occasional travel - Overnight travel 1-5 nights per month is required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All U.S. Citizens
This vacancy is also being advertised to current Federal employees via Merit Promotion procedures under announcement EM-17-CB-00016-EXC-MP.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/473758900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.