This position is located in the Office Environmental Management (EM) Carlsbad Field Office (CBFO). The U.S. Department of Energy’s Carlsbad Field Office has responsibility for the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) and the National Transuranic (TRU) Program (NTP). WIPP is located in the Chihuahuan Desert of southeastern New Mexico, approximately 26 miles east of Carlsbad, NM. Visit Carlsbad, NM at: www.cityofcarlsbadnm.com. WIPP occupies approximately 28 square kilometers (16 square miles). The facility is used to store TRU waste left over from nuclear weapons research and testing operations from our past defense activities. Project facilities include disposal rooms mined 2,150 feet underground in a 2,000 foot thick salt formation. See more at: www.wipp.energy.gov or Youtube for: “The WIPP Experience”. Come join us in our mission to provide safe, compliant, and efficient characterization, transportation, and disposal of defense-related TRU waste.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the Assistant Manager of the Office of the WIPP (OOW) and as the senior CBFO management official responsible for the development, implementation, and management of policies and procedures for the assigned functional and administrative areas, and for the operations and oversight of the WIPP facility.
**This is an Excepted Service position. This appointment will not confer Competitive Service career-conditional or career tenure status. This means that if you are selected, you would have to compete with other applicants in open competition to meet requirements for another Federal position, unless you meet the requirements for reinstatement. Applicants who voluntarily convert from the competitive service, Senior Executive Service, or other pay systems to a non-time limited appointment under this excepted service authority are not afforded "fallback rights" to the pay system previously assigned prior to conversion.**
As the Assistant Manager, Office of WIPP, you will:
- Direct, manage and supervise the Office of WIPP.
- Oversee the contractor assurance system through the selective review, surveillance and operational awareness of contractor assurance systems and self-assessment functions.
- Review, appraise and inspect contractor plans and operations.
- Serve as a nuclear facility operations expert.
- Furnish technical expertise in appraising project performance and provide guidance for effective problem resolution.
- Assure effective and efficient use of federal and contractor personnel, facilities and other resources from an operations perspective.
- Review contractor-performed work related to operation, maintenance, construction and repair of project facilities, buildings, grounds, utilities and equipment.
- Develop specific goals to which the contractor must perform.
Occasional travel - Overnight travel 1-3 nights per month may be required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All U.S. Citizens
This vacancy is also being advertised to current Federal employees via Merit Promotion procedures under announcement EM-17-CB-00016-EXC-MP.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/473741200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.