From Paul Revere's lantern to sophisticated global networks today! Hanscom Air Force Base outside of Boston, MA, is home to several dynamic organizations with the important mission of providing the latest in command, control, and information systems for the Air Force, the Department of Defense and America's allies.
Joining our team will give you access to some of the nation's best academic, cultural, and historical resources, while providing a vital service to our nation's armed forces.
This announcement will result in a 90-day register which may be used to fill vacancies for 90 days after the closing date of this announcement. Referrals may be made as vacancies occur.
Position Summary: The primary purpose of this position is to install, modify, troubleshoot, maintain, and repair industrial or domestic high-temperature water and high-pressure piping systems and equipment. This position reports to the Central Plant Supervisor.
The location of this position is Department of the Air Force, 66 Air Base Group, Civil Engineering (66th ABG/CEO), Hanscom AFB, MA 01731
Hanscom AFB, MA is located in a "high cost of living" area.
As a Pipefitter, you will:
- Installs, modifies, and repairs new and existing high-pressure piping systems and equipment such as steam heating, steam generation, and hydraulic systems, steam generators, flash and expansion tanks, condensate, vacuum, and circulating pumps, and radiators.
- Plans and lays out installation, repair, and/or modification of high pressure piping systems and equipment applying and interpreting information in blueprints, charts, and sketches.
- Troubleshoots/inspects high-pressure piping systems and equipment and determines need for modification and/or repair to insure proper and safe operation.
- Performs various operational repairs and preventive maintenance on steam and chilled water distribution systems.
- Utilizes safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations and maintains safe and clean work environment.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Employee makes repairs
and installations from ladders, scaffolding, platforms, and other hard-to-reach
places. Must stand, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, stretch, and work in
tiring and uncomfortable positions. Frequently lifts parts and equipment
that weight up to 50 pounds. Occasionally lifts items that weight over 50
pounds with assistance from other workers.
· Work is done inside and outside, and is
usually dirty, dusty, and greasy. Sometimes required to make
installations and repairs in areas where bad smelling fumes are present.
Frequent exposure to the possibility of uncomfortable heat conditions.
Frequently exposed to the possibility of strains, cuts, scrapes, bruises,
burns, and infections. Occasionally exposed to the possibility of broken
· Employee uses and maintains prescribed
safety/protective clothing and equipment such as the following: hard hat,
safety glasses, shoes, belts, face shields, respirators, gas masks, ear
protection devices, gloves, coveralls, and foul weather gear.