OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise: "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?Learn more about this agency
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service. If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I CARE"). America's Veterans need you!
This position involves a multi-grade career ladder. The major duties listed below represent the full performance level of GS-06. At the GS-05 grade level, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence. You will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level of GS-06. Promotion is at the discretion of the supervisor and is contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of higher level work, and availability of funds.
This position is located within the Pathology and Laboratory Product Line at the VA Medical Center in Madison, WI. The primary purpose of the position is to provide pathology technician work in support of the anatomic pathology. Major duties and responsibilities include:
- Process, embed, cut, and stain quality frozen tissue specimens;
- Perform and document tests in compliance with quality control procedures and established parameters and standards;
- Maintain appropriate quality controls and ensure the department is operating in accordance with regulatory standards;
- Label and deliver histological slides;
- Prepare frozen sections for rapid diagnosis including tissue sampling, sectioning in a cryostat, rapid staining, and microscopic evaluation for adequacy and quality;
- Keep written and computerized logs of specimens, work load data, etc.;
- Use specialized instruments such as dissecting microscopes and microwave ovens with vacuums;
- Prepare fixatives, reagents, and staining solutions;
- Draw blood from patients using standard and specialized drawing techniques;
- Maintains the readiness and cleanliness of the morgue in the reception, autopsy arrangement, or the release of the deceased;
- Performing related duties as required.
DESIGNATED DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472187800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.