About the Agency
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
WHO MAY APPLY: Federal employees with career or career-conditional tenure in the competitive service; former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments; displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service may apply under VEOA; Military Spouses; individuals eligible for VRA appointments (at the GS-11 and below grade levels); Land Management Bureau Eligibles and individuals with disabilities.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred to (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment. YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR SF-50, CTAP, OR COMMISSIONED CORPS DOCUMENTATION.
This is an Interdisciplinary announcement and may be filled in one of the following series: 1310 (Physicist), or 1320 (Chemist).
This position is located at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), Office of In Vitro Diagnostics and Radiological Health (OIR) located in Silver Spring, MD.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CDRH-17-DE-10012097AS under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA wide.
As an Interdisciplinary Scientist in the Office of In Vitro Diagnostics and Radiological Health, you will be responsible for:
- Acting as a senior reviewer of in vitro diagnostics, medical devices, and/or radiation emitting products in regards to safety and effectiveness;
- Evaluating medical device submissions in order to report recommendation dispositions to supervisor;
- Reviewing scientific data related to pre- and post-market notification submissions, radiation emitting products, and related supplements and amendments;
- Enforcing a wide variety of medical device or radiological health regulations to provide authoritative guidance to both internal and external groups;
- Planning and developing audit programs designed to assess conformance with medical or radiological health device standards and regulations; and
- Collaborating with other scientists and regulated industry to improve medical device safety or standards for radiological health products.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel domestically for this position up to 5% of the time.