About the Agency
Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is one of the best! In 2016, USACE ranked number two of government large-agency subcomponents! As rated by their employees, USACE supervisors strongly support employee development and opportunities to demonstrate leadership skills, while also maintaining an optimal work/life balance. The Corps offers a team-inspiring and collaborative work environment; providing challenging and rewarding careers across a variety of disciplines.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
This position supports the mission of the Detroit District in restoring and maintaining the Great Lakes environment and infrastructure to support the Nation's critical navigation needs, unique environmental resource, and protection from flood events. This position will provide technical support to the engineering workforce by developing technical plans and details for large scale civil engineering projects for the Great Lakes region.
This position is also being advertised to status eligibles under announcement SWGJ170657622752.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
As an Engineering Technician (Civil-CADD), your main responsibilities will be to provide computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) support for engineers. Typical duties include:
- Using CADD systems to create, and plot graphic files in preparation of project drawings per established CADD standards.
- Interpreting engineer's sketches and data to develop design details, plan views, and cross-sections in support of projects.
- Conducting quality review of CADD products by others for accuracy and adherence to CADD standards.
- Outlining approach for preparation of construction drawings to include selection of appropriate computer software to display and integrate various portions of the project.
- Utilizing CADD related programs to establish contours, prepare grading plans, and calculate quantities in support of engineering projects.
- Providing advice concerning support capabilities of specific software programs.
- Identifying CADD work to be done, establish CADD standards, and develops work plans for CADD products.
- Developing and maintaining a thorough background knowledge of CADD system operation and maintenance requirements.
- Making necessary computations and reviewing design criteria and specifications in order to have pertinent data reflected or noted in the final drawings during development of contract plans.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for this position (approximately 5%).