About the Position:
As the second-largest city in the state of Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh is known for its strong economy, education opportunities, and exciting cultural attractions. Home to the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers, prestigious educational institutions, family friendly amusement, and Pittsburgh's downtown area being full of life.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
If you are currently a permanent, Federal employee or have other appointment eligibility(s) as an internal candidate, please apply for this vacancy against SWGJ177775501928955R for status candidates.
- Function as technically responsible engineer from a concrete materials aspect for analysis, design, rehabilitation and construction of a variety of complex concrete structures; including concrete gravity dams for flood risk management projects, concrete gravity dams for navigation structures, concrete lock walls for navigation structures, other miscellaneous mass concrete structures, including deep foundations drilled shafts, underwater (tremie) concrete, precat concrete and a variety of other concrete utilized in structural and geotechnical applications.
- Serve as technical lead for analysis and design of fully exposed, submerged, partially submerged structural concrete and mass concrete structures including concrete materials, mixture proportioning and placement methods and their effect on construction and durability. Prepare construction contract documents including drawings and specifications for various features for challenging and complex civil engineering projects for river navigation systems and flood control reservoirs.
- Perform or interpret analysis utilizing finite element and trial load methods as used for the design and analysis of mass concrete structures, thermal and cracking analyses using industry best practices, ACI procedures, and nonlinear incremental stress analysis (NISA).
- Develop concrete mix designs to improve resistance to alkali silica reaction, alkali carbonate reaction, sulfate attack, D-cracking, F-T damage, pop-outs, etc. Analyze and evaluate engineering concrete materials for civil works structures, underwater concrete, Portland cement, fly ash, silica fume, ground granulated blast furnace slag, admixtures, water and aggregates as well as joint sealants, curing products, and other treatment and ancillary products and methods.
- Coordinate concrete materials aspects of projects with multi-disciplined engineering team, Operations personnel and Construction Engineering personnel responsible for related specialized phases of the projects to arrive at functional designs and solutions to technical and operational problems.
- Perform role of Project Engineer in design by coordinating the efforts of multi-disciplined teams, developing and tracking budgets, preparation of scopes of work, ensuring quality processes are followed, and ensuring contract documents are complete. In construction, provides support to the Construction Engineering staff by coordinating the review of transmittals and RFI's by the engineering team and assisting with the resolution of construction issues.
- Perform inspections and assessments of the District's infrastructure including mass concrete structures, reinforced concrete structures, and bridges; and develop memos and reports with recommendations based on field observations.
Occasional travel - Business Travel up to 15 Percent
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/469171800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.