As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/Learn more about this agency
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
- THIS POSITION REQUIRES CERTIFIED TUMOR REGISTRAR (CTR). This position is located in the Health Information Management Section (HIMS) of the Health Administrative Serives at the Minneapolis VA Health Care System. The duties and responsibilities are carried out throughout all divisions of the medical center. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Identifies required reportable diseases in this facility's patients through the use of the VISTA Oncology Program and Laboratory Package.
- Thoroughly searches the medical record to identify and code all information pertinent to the patient's diagnosis
- Utilizes coding references to ensure that complete and accurate data is collected
- Codes stages of disease using American Joint Commission on Cancer's staging requirements.
- Analyzes the consistency of coding registry data, cancer diagnosis, and histology, treatment, (including surgical procedures, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, hormonal therapy and radiation therapy).
- Identifies coding discrepancies.
- Facilitates resolution of coding discrepancies by discussion with providers and registrars.
- Codes complicated medical records having diagnostic, surgical and therapeutic procedures that are identified as difficult to classify.
- Reviews records to obtain data
- Enters data obtained from record into the registry software.
- Analyzes data retrieved and provides the results to health care staff for research, patient care, budgeting, protocol studies and trends in cancer.
- Supports all functions within the cancer registry to include case finding, follow-up and staging.
Medical Records Technician (Cancer Registrar) GS-8 Full performance Level
(a)Experience: One year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level.
(b)Demonstrated KSAs. In addition to the experience about, the candidate must demonstrate
the following KSAs:
- In-depth knowledge of professional registry operations;
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology, staging of cancer, and requirements of internal and external approving organization;
- Knowledge of cancer committee processes and procedures in order to improve patient care and verify compliance with ACoS and/or facility standards;
- Ability to serve as a subject-matter-expert on cancer programs for the medical center; and
- Skill in utilizing electronic health records and cancer registry software.
(c) Assignment. This is considered to be the full performance level for this assignment. Cancer registrars at this level perform all tasks and duties autonomously. Search the medical record to identify and abstract/code all information. Organize and maintain the cancer registry data system. Review lifetime follow-up on patients including cancer status and vital status. Ensures documentation meets the requirements and standards set forth by ACoS and/or facility standards and is quality registry data.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, Administrative days
Telework Schedule: This can be a local virtual position. The incumbent will be expected to report to work at the Veterans Administration Health Care Center (VAHCS), Minneapolis, Minnesota occasionally.
Functional Statement Title/#: Functional Statement: Medical Records Technician (Cancer Registrar).
Who May Apply
This job is open to…OPEN TO U.S. CITIZENS AND CURRENT FEDERAL EMPLOYEES OF OTHER AGENCIES
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/468740100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.