Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE or "The Corps") is one of the best in America! In 2015, USACE ranked #128 out of 500 employers on Forbes' "America's Best Employers" list. From this list, the Corps ranked #10 in the government services industry, #6 in the federal government, and #8 in the engineering field. Follow this link for more information about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is an innovative, transformative organization providing engineering solutions to customers worldwide. Working at the Corps as a civilian employee means making a direct contribution to war fighters and their families; supporting overseas contingency operations; developing technology and systems that save the lives of soldiers and civilians; providing disaster relief; and protecting and enhancing the environment and the national economy.
About the Position:
Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Recent Graduates
Program. Click here for more
information on Pathways program participation. After Program completion, Department of the Army Recent Graduates MAY be
converted to a permanent position or to a term position (a project-based term of employment lasting between one and four years).
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent
- Successfully completed at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to
all requirements of the Program.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualifications for the position to
which the Recent Graduate will be converted
To learn more, please visit the Office of Personnel Management webpage, Hiring Authorities: Students & Recent Graduates.
Who May Apply:
Positions are open to:
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a
qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational
or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Students may apply within nine months of meeting their education requirements.
- Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
At the full performance level of the target conversion position GS-11), you will:
- On the basis of assigned projects, makes reconnaissance of area to determine best method of approach; plans and conducts geological and soil investigations; and pre-pares reports showing the structure, composition, characteristics, attitude, and variations of geologic conditions.
- Recommends and supervises special sampling or testing such as undisturbed Shelby tube samples, field permeability core logging, etc.
- Makes and directs studies and develops data and recommendations for solution of special geologic problems, such as aquifer, lithology, soundness of rock, and improvement of core drilling, soil sampling, and core recovery and preparation techniques
- Makes field reconnaissance of structural sites and inspects core drilling, recovery and classification techniques; makes geologic studies of topography; gathers first-hand technical data and observes actual excavation and foundation construction; and examines excavated material to determine degree of accuracy of geologic sections and data in contract plans and specifications as previously developed, to observe and measure seepage into foundations, and formulate plans for correcting deficiencies of geologic determinations for future guidance.
- Directs and controls the field work of Government and contractor core drill parties working in the area.
- Submits detailed reports and makes progress reports of contractor core drill parties and for those drill parties on loan from other districts operation in the area. Insures that drilling assignment is carried on in an orderly, timely, and safe manner.
After program completion, Department of the Army Pathways Recent Graduates MAY be converted to a permanent or term appointment without further competition.
This position is being filled at the GS-07, or GS-09 level with potential conversion to a position with a full performance level at GS-11.
- 25% or Greater
- 35% Business Travel Required