Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
The Department of the Army Pathways Internship Program is
designed to provide students currently enrolled in a wide variety of educational
institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work and
get paid while exploring federal careers through a job with the Department of
About the Position:
Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Pathways Intern Program. Click here for more information on Pathways program participation. The Department of the Army Pathways Interns may be converted to a permanent position within 120 days of successful completion of the program.
This intern position is designed to prepare a student trainee for employment after graduation as a Natural Resources Specialist (Ranger), GS-0401-05/07/09. Interns will be assigned to one or more higher graded specialists who will assign tasks designed to increase familiarity with the target occupation, in a real world work
This opportunity follows a standard promotional path:
- Internship at the GS-04 (typically college students with Sophomore or Junior standing) or GS-05 (typically college students with Senior standing).
- After completion of Internship requirements, conversion to the entry-level for the target occupation. Entry level for Natural Resources Specialist (Ranger) positions is at the GS-0401-07. The actual grade level at the time of conversion depends on academic achievement and other factors.
- The entry-level position will have a target full performance level, such as GS-09 or GS-11 or GS-12. Progression from the entry-level to the full performance level for this occupation will depend on successful completion of all requirements for promotion. Promotions may be considered after a year at each grade level, but are not guaranteed to occur on a specific time
See eligibility requirements for conversion to a permanent or term position in the "Other Information" section below.
Who May Apply:
Students who are eligible for participation in the Department of the Army Internship Program
Positions are open to current students pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution.
As an intern, you will be assigned to a senior specialist or group of specialists. You will be assigned tasks designed to familiarize you with different aspects of the occupation. Tasks will vary depending on the senior specialist's current workload, but may include the following:
- Patrol an assigned area for detection of encroachment, unauthorized use, timber-cutting, vandalism, fire detection, theft, safety hazard or littering.
- Provide information to visitors regarding recreation facilities and aid them in selecting areas suitable to their needs and desires.
- Instruct visitors on hazards, regulations and restrictions; issue warnings and reports violations.
- Occasional Travel
- Business Travel Conditions (TDY) up to 5%