About the Agency
During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hours may apply.
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
GS-07 $19.49 per hour (Step 01) to $25.34 per hour (Step 10);
GS-09 $23.85 per hour (Step 01) to $31.00 per hour (Step 10);
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
Embark on an exciting career at the Wyoming-Montana Water Science Center: https://wy-mt.water.usgs.gov/
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- you must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); and
- enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; and
- students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; and
- the duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
- You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
The USGS Wyoming-Montana Water Science Center is seeking a graduate or Ph.D level student working towards a degree Geography, Geographic Information Science, Remote Sensing, Engineering, or Geology to gain practical experience inGIS Technology, geospatial metadata compiliation, creating two- and three-dimensional digital data, and geo-processing information for earth science data.
As a Student Trainee (Physical Science) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of Physical Science.
--Using GIS technology to create maps containing scientific data.
--Analyzing two- and three-dimensional geospatial data.
--Planning, developing, and implementing geospatial data analysis software.
--Converting geographic information from one format to another.
--Compiling, testing, and evaluating the performance of geo-processing tools for geospatial data analysis.
--Constructing and testing datasets for special purpose applications.
--Developing customized scripts for GIS and remote sensing data entry, format conversion, editing, analysis, and display.
USGS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval. The official worksite for the selectee is the duty location identified in this vacancy announcement. The selectee will typically report to this location on a regular and recurring basis.
For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/telework.html.