About the Agency
Careers with the DOE span the nation and encompass a wide variety of job categories. The scope of our work ensures a continuing need for dozens of scientific and technical disciplines, as well as the full range of administrative and supporting talents at research laboratories, energy administration facilities, and offices coast to coast. Check out our careers site (https://www.energy.gov/jobs/jobs).
This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program. The Internship Program provides students who are enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in a wide variety of qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work and explore career paths related to their academic fields of study or career interests.
Veterans Preference applies and will be adjudicated accordingly.
Excepted Appointment Not-To-Exceed (NTE) 09/30/2017, may be extended for one year and/or may be converted to a term or permanent position; however, conversion is not mandatory or guaranteed.
Appointment may be extended or may be eligible for conversion if eligibility requirements are met. Please check out the requirements on OPMs website.
Selected students will be assigned to one of our Headquarters Program/Support Offices or Field Offices. They will perform a wide variety or duties in the scientific or professional fields designed to meet DOE’s mission and the student's learning objectives.
As a student trainee, your duties may include:
For Social Science/Economist:
- Collect economic or other information for incorporation into detailed economic research projects
- Analyze and interpret economic statistics
- Compile and place in an orderly arrangement, specified data from a variety of sources
- Use statistical and database software to develop and maintain databases and conduct analyses, independently and as part of a team
For Engineering and Physical Science:
- Collect data from prescribed sources for use on projects
- Prepare report of findings, cost and schedule changes, milestones, and project status for review by higher graded employees
- Analyze data collected to assist with design work of limited scope
For Operations Research/Statistician:
- Participate in a variety of assignments involving analytical methods
- Read and interpret values from tables as indicated in instructions
- Employ statistical techniques to generate probability functions
- Apply standard procedures in both mathematics and statistics to be used in data analysis and normalization
- Select and prepare well-defined data in a given format and perform routine computations
For Information Technology Management:
- Develop and/or implement procedures pertaining to information technology management
- Perform analytical work related to integrated systems
- Organize multiple tasks or priorities in response to customer or supervisor requests
- Provide assistance in evaluating requirements for software and/or equipment
- Prepare reports, correspondence, manuals, procedures or guidelines pertaining to computer application development