About the Agency
Careers with the DOE span the nation and encompass a wide variety of job categories. The scope of our work ensures a continuing need for dozens of scientific and technical disciplines, as well as the full range of administrative and supporting talents at research laboratories, energy administration facilities, and offices coast to coast. Check out our careers site (https://www.energy.gov/jobs/jobs).
This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program. The Internship Program provides students who are enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in a wide variety of qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work and explore career paths related to their academic fields of study or career interests.
Veterans Preference applies and will be adjudicated accordingly.
Excepted Appointment Not-To-Exceed (NTE) 09/30/2017, may be extended for one year and/or may be converted to a term or permanent position; however, conversion is not mandatory or guaranteed.
Appointment may be extended or may be eligible for conversion if eligibility requirements are met. Please check out the requirements on OPMs website.
Selected students will be assigned to one of our Headquarters Program/Support Offices or Field Offices. They will perform a wide variety or duties in the scientific or professional fields designed to meet DOE’s mission and the student's learning objectives.
As a student trainee, your duties may include:
For Human Resources:
- Maintain and update various organization files
- Coordinate training programs
- Check standard forms for accuracy and completeness
- Participate in special projects as needed
- Provide general administrative support to staff
For Program or Management & Program Assistant:
- Use word processing/spreadsheet software to prepare correspondence, reports and other documents
- Check reports and other documents for accuracy and correct discrepancies
- Maintain records and files
- Collect data and evaluate information
- Track pending actions to ensure timely completion
For General Business:
- Assist finance or contract site office staff in creating, updating, or reviewing various business documents
- Perform tasks using Office products (Word, Excel or PowerPoint)
- Assist in the review of Contractor submissions of proposed procurement actions
- Assist in the review and provide feedback to improve Contractor budget activities and submissions
- Provide support to the federal Contract and Finance staff
For Communications / Public Affairs Intern:
- Perform research and analyze data for actual accuracy
- Assemble information from various sources
- Prepare draft articles for newsletters
- Use internet and other tools to enhance the readability of newsletter articles
For Financial Management:
- Receive, review and verify the validity and completeness of accounting or financial data, including disbursements and collections
- Enter data into financial system and correct invalid or incorrect entries
- Verify, balance and reconcile detailed supporting documentation, lists, automated records and/or reports
- Assist in the preparation of recurring and special reports