**PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE JOB OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE YOU APPLY**Learn more about this agency
Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
“We Train Those Who Protect Our Homeland.” The Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers (FLETC) is a unique inter-agency organization that prepares the next generation of law enforcement officers to meet the Nation's most pressing security challenges. To learn more about the FLETC’s vital Homeland Security Mission, please click here.
These positions are located throughout the Chief Information Officer Directorate (CIO) of the FLETC. As an Information Technology (IT) Specialist you will provide a wide range of IT advice and services related to the following specialty areas: Network; Security; Systems Administration/Network Services; Network Services/Customer Support; Data Management; Customer Support; Project Manager; Application Software (APPSW); Internet; Information Security/Customer Support; and System Analysis.
Your application will remain on-file and "active" for the duration of this announcement. Managers may request applications from this announcement that meet the desired training topical area, work schedule, and duty location of their vacant position(s). If your application meets these parameters, then it will be made available for review by the requesting manager. HR will verify your qualifications and eligibility for consideration. The status of your USAJOBS® account will be updated upon receipt of your application but will not receive subsequent updates throughout the process. You will be contacted via e-mail if you are selected for an interview.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and OMB plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
You will have responsibility for providing operational services in one of the following areas:
- Systems Administration/Network Services - Managing system resources for enterprise network operating systems and Microsoft business productivity servers; planning and scheduling the installation of new or modified hardware, operating systems, and applications software; managing the installation and integration of system fixes, updates, patches, and enhancements; and promptly resolving hardware/software interface and interoperability problems.
- Network Services/Customer Support - Installing, operating, and managing telecommunications software and hardware; installing, configuring, and maintaining the security and operation of server operating systems; and providing oversight and execution of desktop hardware and software and a variety of electronic and information technology (EIT) requiring substantial problem analysis, trouble-shooting, design implementation, and implementation or adaptation of state-of-the-art technology for end-user customer support.
- Security - Performing IT device security monitoring, incident reporting, system scanning and security control verification.
- Data Management - Managing, evaluating, and developing database products and services using Oracle Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) version 10g or higher.
- Customer Support -Providing enterprise IT Help Desk contractual oversight related to the operations of computer networks, desktop hardware and software; including trouble-shooting, design implementation and performance reviews.
- Project Manager - Providing support for IT activities that relate to technical and non-technical enterprise IT project management functions.
- Application Software (APPSW) - Analysis and requirements gathering, acquisition, design, development, testing and implementation of enterprise software applications and databases, including particular knowledge and practical experience in the use of Microsoft .Net Frameworks (version 2.0 and higher) and Microsoft SQL Server RDBMS (version 2005 or 2008), for the design, development and testing of web-based (ASP.Net) applications in support of the FLETC business needs and mission.
- Internet - Providing web-based services such as data management, network technologist, and systems applications that enhance user-developed content and meet both technical and enterprise requirements.
- Information Security/Customer Support - Performing IT system security program evaluation and performing IT Customer Support functions.
- Network - Designing, documenting, installing, testing, operating, managing, performing, and problem resolving an agency's Inside Plant (ISP) and Outside Plant (OSP) fiber optic and copper cabling systems to include building telecommunication closets and associated equipment racks, patch panels, power, grounding, cable management, and uninterruptible power supplies required to support various network infrastructure devices.
- System Analysis - Planning and developing a broad range of IT activities, including in-depth analysis of technical and non-technical factors related to defining business IT needs.
Occasional travel - Some work may require travel to attend meetings and conferences away from the work site. You may be required to spend time in private or public transporation in conjunction with travel to meetings and visits to other government offices or contractor facilities.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Non-competitive eligibles, which includes but is not limited to current and former federal employees who have held the GS-13 level or above; interchange agreement eligibles, individuals with disabilities, peace corps, former overseas employees, military spouses, and 30% disabled veterans.
- View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/466976600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.