OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) consists of three inpatient facilities located at Palo Alto, Menlo Park, and Livermore, plus seven outpatient clinics in San Jose, Fremont, Capitola, Monterey, Stockton, Modesto, and Sonora. These facilities provide some of the world's finest medical care and cutting-edge technology.
VAPAHCS is a teaching hospital with an affiliation with the Stanford University School of Medicine which provides a rich academic environment including medical training for physicians in virtually all specialties and subspecialties. Our Health Care System operates over 800 beds, including three nursing homes and a 100-bedhomeless domiciliary - all to serve more than 67,000 enrolled Veterans.
You can learn more about VAPAHCS by visiting: http://www.paloalto.va.gov/about/
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
***NOTE: Declining to be interviewed, failure to respond/accept interview attempts, or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.***Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: Varies depending on patient care needs
***RELOCATION INCENTIVE/RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE IS NOT AUTHORIZED.***
The Nursing VA Learning Opportunities Residency (VALOR) Program designed to attract outstanding US citizen students who have completed the final semester/quarter of the junior year from an accredited baccalaureate nursing program approved by one of the following accredited bodies: Accredited Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). The VALOR participant is a student nurse who delivers safe care to assigned clients while developing the technical competencies required for the assigned area under the direct supervision of a BSN- RN preceptor and coordination of the on- site VALOR program Coordinator. The practice of each VALOR student is based on skill, experience, evidence and research and has a direct and indirect impact on client outcomes and the facility as a whole. VALOR students develop clinical competencies in nursing specialty areas such as Medical/Surgical/Telemetry, Emergency Department (ED) and the Polytrauma Unit. Along with one to one preceptor-ship at the bedside, the learning opportunities are enhanced by didactic course work, structured clinical experiences including competency-based clinical practice, and clinical conferences.
The major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Under Preceptor supervision the student gives direct care to assigned patients including procedures.
- Reassesses each patient in his/her care for any changes in health and/or care status necessitating a change in the plan of care.
- Works with the preceptor's assignment of care for the day; does not carry an independent patient care load.
- Reassesses nursing actions for effectiveness in achieving desired outcomes and communicates changes in patients progress note and to preceptor.
- May only perform care treatment and/or medication administration after content covered in nursing school curriculum.
- This position is intermittent and temporary, not to exceed 400 hours with a possibility of additional funding of 400 hours with scholarship program pre-approval and funding.
- Students will be paid at a salary rate equal to 80 percent of the local VA facility's annual salary rate for a Nurse I, Level 1, Step 1 (at the Veterans Administration Palo Alto Health Care System, this will be 80% of $94,359).
- No future obligations to the VA, or guarantees from the VA will be incurred as a result of participating in this program.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/466718700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.