About the Agency
This position is located in the National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS), National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) with one vacancy in Asheville, NC.
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-4 is equivalent to the GS-13/14.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NSDIS-NCEI-2017-0017, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
* A one year supervisory probationary period may be required.
* Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit.
* This vacancy may be used to fill other Supervisory Physical Scientist, ZP-1301-4 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
As a Supervisory Physical Scientist, you will perform the following duties:
- Supervise and lead a team of data access specialists, develop workforce management plans, and determine the best approach for resolving short and long range staffing needs.
- Develop and implement strategic plans for long-term goals and develop proposals to procure funding from both external and internal sources.
- Extract, define, and translate user functional requirements into design specifications for data access services and utilize software development technologies, tools, and practices to sustain and enhance environmental data access services.
- Present information briefings to all levels of management in an effective, clear, and understandable manner.