Biological Science Technician (Wildlife), GS-0404-5
Working for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is more than a career. It is a commitment shared by more than 9,000 men and women representing a diverse range of professions, backgrounds, and specialties who are dedicated to conserving, protecting, and enhancing fish, wildlife, and plants and their habitats. From the Arctic Ocean to the South Pacific, the Atlantic to the Caribbean, Service personnel are working hard to ensure future generations will be able to enjoy nature's beauty and bounty.
You too can make a difference in our world. The work of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is meaningful and varied. Want to know more about what it is like to work for us?
Click here to watch short podcasts called Meet Your New Boss! and Diversity is our Strength
Who may be considered? All U.S. Citizens
This is a full-time temporary position with the Long Island National
Wildlife Refuge located in Shirley, NY. The anticipated duration of this appointment is 6 months, but may be
extended for a total of two years without further advertisement. This
position may also be terminated at any time due to lack of work or lack
of funds, as the needs of the Service dictate.
One or more positions may be filled from this vacancy announcement.
Government housing is available for rent.
Telework - the duties of this position are not suitable for telework.
As a Biological Science Technician your duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Monitor protected shorebirds.
- Install and maintain predatory exclosures for shorebirds.
- Conduct bat population monitoring.
- Educate the public on rules, regulations, and conservation efforts.
- Assist with capturing, handling, and tagging/banding birds and wildlife.
- Conduct vegetation monitoring surveys.
- Compile biological data in electronic databases to prepare memos and reports.
- Identify invasive plant species and apply herbicides.
- Map invasive plant locations with GPS and GIS.
- Assist with other refuge activities such as lawn and facilities maintenance.