Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1922007
See our interactive facility map: http://interactive.medmaps.com/site/sierranevada_va
If you have never been to Reno, let us tell you: it is nestled at the foot of the Sierra Nevada Mountains with easy access to the Pacific Crest Trail. We are just 30 minutes from beautiful Lake Tahoe offering most any water sport you can imagine: fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding in addition to skiing and snowboarding (where many Olympic athletes do their training). We are the home of a dynamic art and event scene: Artown, Hot August Nights, Street Vibrations, Rib Cook off, Balloon Races and that's just July September! Humidity is low so temperatures remain (or at least feel) moderate.
The Reno VA is the teaching affiliate of the University Of Nevada School Of Medicine, the state's only medical school. The Davidson Academy, the state designated "university school for profoundly gifted pupils", is located on the UNR campus. Additionally TMCC offers accessible post high school classes and degrees and offers the opportunity to continue higher education through UNR.
We encourage you to consider VA employment in Reno, NV, join a team that values a healthy home/work life balance and be rewarded by the role you'll play in keeping the promise to those who served.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional Nurse Practitioner, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The APN is responsible for providing and coordinating patient care for the hematology/oncology services and outpatient clinics. The role requires autonomous decision making based on a knowledge of nursing and hematology / oncology disease, where indicated.
Aspects of the role include but are not limited to:
- Care of patients in the the hematology/oncology services and outpatient clinics, triage of phone calls, evaluation of walk-in patients, ordering and interpreting laboratory and diagnostic tests, treating symptoms with non-medication therapies, prescribing medication with appropriate state licensure, providing education, emotional support and referral for patients and their families as needed.
- Patient care involves assessment of family history, hematology / oncology system problems and their effects on daily living, and providing interventions to enhance patient functioning and preventing complications.
- The APN practice demonstrates leadership in improving patient care, skill in evaluating and managing nervous system disorders, patient education, and use of community, social and health resources.
- Independently manages stable, non-acute patient problems/issues such as medication adjustments, counseling, education, referrals to clinical and nonclinical resources, completion of driver licensing and disability forms.
- Consults with a supervisory physician when patients develop acute changes in condition or a new problem.
The effective use of the nursing process components of assessment, diagnosis, outcome identification, planning, implementation and evaluation in the specialty practice setting.
Acquires knowledge and skills to maintain expertise in hematology/oncology.
Participates in educational activities to improve clinical knowledge and enhance role performance as well as predicting new knowledge needs to meet the changing practice environment for populations of patients and the nursing community at large. The nurse plans, implements and evaluates strategies to meet those needs.
Recruitment/Relocation incentive has not been approved for this position.
Work Schedule: Rotating Shifts, including Nights, Weekends, Holidays and On-Call
Functional Statement Title/#: Advanced Practice Nurse - Hematology/Oncology, FS-000000
This position is covered under the bargaining unit.