MAJOR DUTIES:(Detailed duties are on the Position Description available at the Human Resources Office)
The purpose of the position is to develop and oversee the execution of the command's operations, training plans and policies. Provides staff planning and assistance to ensure the required training readiness objectives are achieved and deployment planning and preparation requirements are accomplished.
1. Formulates, oversees and evaluates overall training programs for the State. Develops short and long term training plans that support the Adjutant General's (TAG) training guidance. Issues instructions and procedures to subordinate organizations for the conduct of activities which meet the commander's training guidance and directives of higher headquarters. Establishes and monitors the conduct of a training evaluation program for subordinate organizations. Conducts and/or coordinates staff assistance visits and command level inspections in the area of training, physical security and readiness. Evaluates the mission essential task lists of subordinate organizations to ensure conformity with higher headquarters, commander's guidance and intent, Army doctrine, and regulatory requirements. Reviews training evaluation and inspection reports to identify systemic problems and trends. Determines and formulates needed revisions or improvements to training activities. Reviews training plans and schedules of subordinate organizations for approval and revision as necessary to ensure compliance with yearly training guidance. Provides technical guidance and assistance to subordinate commanders or other operations and training personnel pertaining to scheduling and conducting training. Directs the scheduling and ensures the execution of special training courses on a variety of subjects such as communications procedures, leadership courses, marksmanship training.
2. Develops and prepares annual operational and training budget requirements. Recommends sub-allocations of funding for subordinate organizations in accordance with annual funding allowance and established priorities. Approves requests for reallocation based on the commander's guidance and priorities and changes in scheduled training events. Evaluates, develops, and maintains command level policies commensurate with training directives issued by all echelons of command and the commander's guidance.
3. Evaluates organizational readiness reports and makes recommendations for improvement/modification to organizational training programs. Analyzes proposed changes and determines effects on organizational readiness and the ability of organizations to accomplish assigned missions. Develops and reviews requests for changes to future authorization documents. Coordinates with other staff elements and subordinate organizations for the review and analysis of force modernization and future organizational structure and allowances.
4. Develops, reviews and adjusts command level deployment and contingency
operation plans. Provides technical guidance and assistance to subordinate units in the development of deployment and redeployment plans for use in responding to local/state/national emergencies, homeland security missions, and anti-terrorism/force protection.
5. Directs scheduling and coordination for the use of training sites and facilities. Ensures coordination with logistical personnel for the availability of required equipment and supplies for training activities. Reviews and forwards requests for the local procurement and acquisition of training aids, manuals, or other instructional material not available within normal supply channels.
6. Develops and implements Risk Management plans and programs for the command. Analyzes trends within the command and makes recommendations for changes to policies and activities to minimize risks of training activities and increase individual safety awareness.
7. Plans, organizes and assigns work to employees engaged in training, security and readiness at the command level. May participate in the selection of hiring new employees. Revises assignments or details employees to other duties as necessary to meet changing work situations, deadlines, or priorities. Establishes performance standards and evaluates employee performance. Prepares formal requests and recommendations for promotions, reassignments, etc.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.