IT Specialist (CUSTSPT)
Appointment Type: Permanent
Salary Range: $61,148.00-$80,270.00
*Candidates must possess and maintain a Secret Security Clearance*
** Must be able to maintain a Top Secret Clearance **
*PCS is not authorized*
MEMBERSHIP IN THE AIR NATIONAL GUARD IS REQUIRED: This is an Excepted Service position that requires membership in the Idaho Air National Guard as a condition of employment. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an Excepted Service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Loss of military membership will result in immediate loss of your full-time military technician position.
In accordance with the Labor Management Agreement, Article 18, Promotions:
Area of Consideration
The area of consideration for all Idaho National Guard bargaining unit positions will be as follows:
(1) Bargaining unit members
(2) All other individuals
This does not preclude management from selecting either Section (1) or Section (2) applications after Section (1) applicants have been considered.
AREAS OF CONSIDERATION:
Current members of the Idaho Air National Guard or those eligible to become members.
Application materials must be received by Monday, March 20, 2017. Failure to provide complete information may result in your not receiving consideration for this position. Please refer to the Qualifications and Evaluations section to understand the requirements.Learn more about this agency
MAJOR DUTIES: (Detailed duties are on the Position Description available at the Human Resources Office)
This position is responsible for providing voice, data, wireless, Communications Focal Point (CFP) and information security services provided to the Wing, supported Geographically Separated Units, and Tenants. The incumbent specializes in one or more of the major information technology (IT) and/or communications systems/functions managed and maintained by the Squadron - network infrastructure, wireless systems, voice systems, and CFP operations. The purpose of this position is to serve as a customer support specialist performing work involving analytical and evaluative duties related to classified and unclassified information technology networks and/or cyber system with primary knowledge requirements of information processing methodology, information technology, telecommunications systems, computer capabilities, processing techniques, IT trouble ticket management, and data communications.
1. Manages the assigned IT/communications environment with privileged access at the network level for the Wing, Geographically Separated Units (GSU), and Tenants. Plans, coordinates, installs, and continuously analyzes system design, hardware and software. Develops, recommends, and installs solutions and upgrades to ensure availability, integrity, efficiency, and reliability of all components of the assigned system. Provides Information Assurance systems support for all disciplines, ensuring the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of network services. Performs system audits to assess security parameters and performance of IA controls within the network environment.
2. Serves as a focal point for ensuring functionality and operability of the assigned IT/data systems/functions, voice and wireless systems to support mission requirements of Wing, Geographically Separated Units (GSU), and Tenants. Optimizes the functionality and performance of hardware and software systems and ensures availability, integrity, efficiency, and reliability of system/functional resources while managing the communications focal point coordination and workload distribution duties. Analyzes, manages, and directs installation of any new hardware or software introduced into the environment to ensure its compatibility with existing architecture, its reliability, and functionality in relation to the organization's business requirements.
3. Provides customer technical assistance and support for all users. Provides ongoing technical support to customers to ensure proper functional use of equipment and programs and to preclude undue interruptions to IT and communications services. Works with customers to ensure efficient operations which support each unit's requirements. Assists in solving problems associated with delivery of hardware and software orders. Provides management with information necessary to address difficult and complex problems in automating work processes. Tracks life of system equipment, prepares and provides analyses to determine future maintenance and replacement costs to help justify budget submissions.
4. Determines customer requirements and assists customers by recognizing and analyzing trends and providing instruction and orientation services. Identifies and documents system requirements for specific needs of customers. Conducts in-depth analyses of system usage, user complaints, traffic interruptions, hardware and software capabilities, and other relevant factors. Recommends methods and procedures and coordinates corrective action to optimize utilization of present equipment. Ensures upgrades to the base IT and communications infrastructure are identified and assists customers in developing and submitting recommendations for additional equipment and funds.
5. Conducts feasibility studies to identify and analyze system failures and analyzes data to determine if trends exist which forecast the need for future replacement or modification of system hardware and software. Based upon the results of studies and the analyses of trends in usage and system problems, determines the feasibility of significant modifications vs. replacement to improve reliability. Participates with operating officials, system users, and others in progress review of established systems to determine the reliability, productivity, and user friendliness of the existing system hardware and software.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE IDAHO AIR NATIONAL GUARD OR THOSE ELIGIBLE TO BECOME MEMBERS.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/464522900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.