Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1912060
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
is embarking on a journey of moving beyond performance measure and becoming the
Healthcare System Veterans Trust and Choose.
Our patients depend
on us and we depend on professionals like you.
you are interested in being a part of a LEAN organization and putting other's
needs before your own this may be the organization for you. Yours might be the
first face they see when they come through our doors. Yours might be the voice
they hear right after a surprise diagnosis. Yours might be the eyes they
look into as they are pushed in a wheelchair to a frightening procedure.
Your attitude reflects us and everything we are proud of in this organization.
By applying for this position you have chosen to help serve our patients and we
the initiation of cultural change, along with knowledge and tools for change,
the Kansas City VA will continue to move towards a practice of continuous
improvement. In the endeavor, we recognize that this change will not
occur suddenly, that dedicated individuals like yourself will be required, that
leadership involvement is necessary, and employee engagement paramount.
a 157 bed medical, surgical, and psychiatric facility, the Kansas City VA
provides comprehensive health care through primary care and
tertiary care in subspecialty medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine
and rehabilitation. It is also a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Kansas and the University
of Missouri Kansas City. Take a closer look at Kansas City at www.thinkkc.com.
A encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
This announcement is open to U.S. Citizens. All current permanent federal applicants should apply to CD-17-AMR-1912058-BU. All applicants applying under this external announcement will be subject to veteran's preference.
The incumbent serves as a pharmacy technician, under the supervision of the outpatient pharmacy supervisor or designee. The incumbent performs specialized technical duties of a distributive nature in the Outpatient Section of Pharmacy. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Reviews orders for completeness and accurately, selects drug products prescribed by their trade/generic name, and assembles completed orders for pharmacist review.
- Counts, prepackages, reconstitutes, measures and selects required medication items or components
- Interprets physicians' orders to verify correct formulation and ingredients. Completes all compounding steps without certification by another employee.
- Labels prescription and appropriate auxiliary labels.
- Notifies procurement staff as well as pharmacist or patient if ordered item is not immediately available in requested amount or strength.
- Reviews and replenishes Pick Point machines for the Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC) for a daily basis.
- Reviews filling records for Scriptpro monthly including drug utilization.
- Performs daily maintenance and filling on the Scriptpro, including cleaning to insure timely processing of prescriptions.
- Maintains a perpetual inventory on and fills controlled substance (class II-V) prescriptions for refill, mail out and window patients.
- Documents and reports all discrepancies to outpatient pharmacy supervisor and investigates discrepancies for timely resolution.
- Maintains inventories and orders replenishment supplies as necessary.
- Manages stock to assure that expired drugs are not dispensed.
- Monitors and analyzes orders and distribution patterns to identify questionable circumstances or unusual trends.
- Receives new stock and returned stock into inventory.
- Ensures controlled substances to be destroyed are witnessed to include, counting drug and packaging for destruction.
- Answers telephone calls from patients; refers to clinical pharmacists as needed.
- Provides patient education via telephone
- Reviews unopened, returned, UPS, or US postal mail returned as undeliverable. Contacts patients at home to verify address, readdresses and re-mails as appropriate.
- Assists patients with refill requests
- Prepares prescriptions for mail out, checking to see that medications are all for correct patient, wrapped properly as to avoid breakage during shipment, and adheres to all procedures for certified mail out.
- Trains and/or orients employees, students and volunteers thoroughly, concerning work procedures, as required.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 9am to 5:30pm or 12:30pm to 9:00pm rotating weekends and holidays. Schedule to be set by supervisor.
Functional Statement Title/#: Pharmacy Technician Outpatient GS-661-6