Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1907488
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
This announcement is open to VA Employees Nationwide . If you are not a VA Employee Nationwide please apply under announcement VHA-553-17-TDF-1907796-BU . If eligible you may apply to both announcements.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
This position requires you to be able to apply an extensive knowledge of pharmaceuticals and practices of pharmacy. The ability to apply sound judgment, developed through experience or training is required for reasons of safe patient care. Due to the busy nature of the pharmacy, daily assignments may change depending on workload demands. In any given day you may be called upon to work on several different assignments in the pharmacy.
May work rotating shifts and at location(s) off-site from primary assignment facility (Domiciliary, and H-Pact) if the need arises.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Processing of medication orders for inpatient accurately.
- Filling of unit dose orders at a reasonable rate using the computer and/or a "pick list" or from a copy of the authorized prescriber's orders. These orders may be filled manually or in combination with automated support from equipment such as Auto-Med or other such robotic filling machine.
- Filling of Centralized or decentralized unit dose carts for a designated period of time and final check by a pharmacist.
- Selecting individual "STAT", "NOW" and "MISSING" doses and their prompt delivery, once checked by a pharmacist.
- Exchanging unit dose cassettes by removing the previous set of cassettes and replacing them with the current supply.
- Entering the doses dispensed and doses returned into the computer as part of the dispensing duties.
- Delivering fresh supplies of I.V.'s on a predetermined schedule and remove any discontinued or no longer needed I.V.'s for recycling or destruction.
- Preparing sterile intravenous prescription orders (IV-Admixtures).
- Restocking the filling-dispensing area(s) on a daily basis prior to the end of his/her tour of duty. This task may also include filing/restocking automated equipment in the pharmacy.
- Bringing questionable prescriptions/orders or any situation that presents a possible hazard to patient care to the attention of a pharmacist for resolution.
- Retrieving the correct medication or supply item and accurately fills the prescription(s) in accordance with established procedures.
- Documenting completion of assigned duties and tasks.
- Understanding the proper use and care/maintenance of automated machinery in inpatient pharmacy.
- Acting as an instructor/trainer for pharmacy students and others, as needed.
- Understanding and being able to explain the Non-Formulary, Special Drug Requests (S.D.R.) and Restricted Drug processes. The incumbent can explain these processes to providers and patients.
- Using the paging system for in-house & DMC issued pagers.
- Utilizing available computer options (Outlook, VistA mailman, intranet, TMS, etc.).
Work Schedule: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.,11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m. - 12:00 a.m., 11:30 p.m,, - 8:00 a.m., rotating weekends and Holidays.
Functional Statement Title/#: Pharmacy Technician / #00088-553