About the Agency
GAO seeks non-paid student volunteers to encourage interest in public service careers and provide valuable work experience. As a non-paid volunteer, a student will gain first-hand experience within GAO’s work environment, learn about the federal government and perform a variety of tasks related to supporting GAO activities.
Student volunteers may work during the school year and/or during summer or school vacation periods. The nature of the volunteer assignment as well as the work schedule will be established once on-board.
Voted one of the best places to work in the federal government since 2005. We foster an inclusive work environment that emphasizes continuous learning, personal and professional development, and incentives for exceptional performance.
We promote equal opportunity for all staff without regard to age, disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. GAO's success in embracing and leveraging the diversity of its employees is central to our mission of serving a diverse American population through its congressional representatives. To learn more about GAO please visit us on the web at http://www.gao.gov/careers/index.html.
Please note that the specific duties and responsibilities associated with this position will vary based on the team or office assignments. The following list is intended to provide applicants with a general overview of the duties and responsibilities.
- Plan and complete work assignments on time
- Collect and analyze relevant information
- Prepare quality draft documents
- Communicate relevant and accurate information, clearly and concisely during formal or informal meetings
- Collaborate with others to accomplish goals
- Contribute to team efforts.
- Use various enterprise tools and technology to prepare and share documents
- Provide essential support such as arranging meetings, taking notes, responding to routine inquiries