About the Agency
This position is located in the NOAA Atlantic Oceanographic & Meteorological Laboratory (AOML), Physical Oceanography Division, Miami, Florida.https://www.aoml.noaa.gov
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-03 is equivalent to the GS-11/12 and ZP-04 is equivalent to the GS-13/14.
The full performance level of the position is ZP-04.
This position is also announced under vacancy number OAR-AOML-2017-0007, which is open to all US Citizens or Nationals. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
* A three year probationary period may be required.
* A hiring incentive may be authorized.
* Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
* This position is in the bargaining unit.
This vacancy may be used to fill other Oceanographer (Research) ZP-1360 03/04 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
At the ZP-4 level, the individual selected for this position will:
- Develop and implement studies and research to determine the effect of the ocean on the climate.
- Design, collect, compile, process, analyze and interpret oceanographic data.
- Prepare data reports and scientific articles.
- Apply knowledge of oceanographic sampling systems, problem solving and presenting.
- Use extensive knowledge of large-scale ocean-atmosphere interaction; inter annual-decadal climate variability, and a mastery of geophysical fluid dynamics to prepare scientific papers for publication.
The ZP-3 level is developmental, leading to the performance of the duties above.
- Occasional Travel
- Selectees will be expected to travel up to two scientific and/or operational non-local meetings per year.