About the Agency
These positions are located throughout the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) service area. The duty location is decided at the time of selection. You are encouraged to select all locations.
The position of Substation Operator Apprentice will, under direct supervision of a journeymen Substation Operator or another journeymen Electrical Worker, operate high voltage electrical equipment in electrical power transmission system substations and on transmission lines. The Substation Apprentice is expected to gain knowledge of the various work processes, high voltage power system equipment, associated protective relays, and become proficient in the use of proper terminology. Tasks will be progressively more difficult throughout the apprenticeship. They will read meters, complete periodic reports, perform equipment and substation inspections, and perform janitorial duties and grounds maintenance work.
A Substation Operator Apprentice:
- Operates energized high and low voltage electrical power transmission system substations following strict procedures and safety requirements.
- Checks and reviews station conditions. Responsible for station security and safety of others in the station.
- Performs inspections on all high and low voltage equipment in substations and keeps records. Periodically inspects station, including all components in the switchyard, outlying buildings, and the perimeter of the property.
- Monitors and operates various communications systems. All processes require clear oral communication.
- Completes associated documentation required of the above listed tasks.
- Occasional Travel
- 25% or less travel required.