These positions are located in the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA), Transmission Services (T), Transmission Field Services (TF), Apprentices (TFZ) organization, and are located throughout the BPA service area. The duty location is decided at the time of selection. You are encouraged to select all locations.Learn more about this agency
The position of Electrician Apprentice will, under direct supervision, perform tasks which typically involve installation and adjustment (Construction) or maintenance and repair (Maintenance) of electrical equipment in Substations. The construction tasks include erection of new facilities or removal of old facilities. Maintenance tasks include: routine inspection, modification, troubleshooting, and repair of facilities. Equipment serviced may be: electrical, hydraulic, mechanical, pneumatic, and/or electronic. Electrician Apprentices work from sketches, drawings, blueprints, wiring diagrams, and instruction books. The apprentice is expected to gain knowledge of the various work processes with progressively difficult assignments throughout their apprenticeship.
An Electrician Apprentice:
- Installs and adjusts major electrical equipment such as: power transformer and gas, oil, or air-insulated power circuit breakers; instrument and station service transformers, disconnect and circuit switches, protective devices, static capacitors, batteries and charges.
- Maintains and repairs (maintenance) major electrical equipment in substations. When equipment fails, performs emergency repairs.
- Performs diagnostic testing to inspect parts and equipment.
- Performs work in shops on equipment components including bushings, motors, small power tools, etc. Assembles, installs, and modifies control and relay panels for substations.
- Assembles and erects steel racks and towers to support equipment.
- Installs and changes antennas, reflectors, transmitting or receiving devices, emergency power supplies, and other equipment located in microwave or radio stations.
- Occasionally takes clearances and performs switching to isolate a piece of equipment for repair.
- Installs conduit and trenches for equipment under the service yard; cables are pulled through the conduit.
- Completes associated documentation required of the above listed tasks.
50% or less - More than 50% of time may involve travel.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Current Federal employees with competitive status
- Former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility
- CTAP/ICTAP eligibles
- Veterans with VOW, VEOA or VRA eligibility
- Those eligible under an OPM interchange agreement or special appointing authority
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/462414600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.