Join Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) for a challenging and rewarding career, while working, living and playing in the Pacific Northwest.Learn more about this agency
These positions are located in the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA), Transmission Services (T), Transmission Field Services (TF), Apprentices (TFZ) organization, and are located throughout the BPA service area.
A successful candidiate in the position of Lineman Apprentice 1 will, under the direct supervision of a Journeyman Lineman or Lineman Foreman, be trained to maintain and construct high voltage lines throughout the Northwest. Lineman Apprentices will be trained to perform this work on wood pole and steel tower lines through 500kV alternating current (AC) and 1000kV direct current (DC).
A Lineman Apprentice 1:
- Performs construction and maintenance work (including hot line maintenance) on either wood pole or steel tower lines including excavations and footings, framing and erecting towers and poles, hanging insulators and hardware, and stringing, sagging and clipping conductors.
- Replaces or repairs damaged steel towers, wood poles, crossarms, and conductors; relocates towers and poles; inspects and treats wood poles; and replaces insulators.
- Performs, or supervises, right-of-way maintenance work such as brush and weed control, cutting or topping dangerous trees, seeding cover crops for erosion control.
- Repairs access roads and installs or repairs bridges, culverts, fences and gates.
- Maintains microwave towers, antennas, and airway lighting installations; performs maintenance tasks in substations, involving overhead line work and other tasks requiring the use of line maintenance equipment.
- Patrols transmission lines and reports conditions of lines.
- Takes clearances and occasionally performs switching at unattended substations and line sectionalizing disconnect switches.
- Completes associated documentation required of the above listed tasks.
- Drives 25-30% of the time in all weather conditions.
25% or less - 25% or more travel in all weather conditions.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Current Federal employees with competitive status
- Former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility
- CTAP/ICTAP eligibles
- Veterans with VOW, VEOA or VRA eligibility
- Those eligible under an OPM interchange agreement or special appointing authority
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/462414200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.