This position is located in the Office of Infrastructure R&D (HRDI) of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Office of Research, Development, and Technology (HRT). HRDI is responsible for the management and conduct of a national research and development program addressing innovative technologies for the design, construction, inspection, operation, management, and preservation of the highway infrastructure. In addition, HRDI provides highly specialized, expert technical support to other FHWA and U.S. DOT offices (e.g., the Inspector General and OST-R), other Federal agencies (e.g., the Department of Homeland Security and National Transportation Safety Board), State highway agencies and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO).Learn more about this agency
Your primary duties and respnsibilities will: planning, conducting, managing, and reviewing research and development activities associated with structural concrete components and systems in the highway infrastructure (bridge and structures); conducting research and development activities associated with other bridge and structural systems deployed in the highway infrastructure; and, formulating research and managing research as a Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) for research and development contracts in his/her area of expertise.
The ideal candidate is a mid-level Engineer with an extensive capability to execute a national level program in structural concrete research that addresses challenges in the highway/bridge infrastructure.
As an Research Civil Engineer (Structural), you will:
- Represent FHWA as an authority on structural concrete research for the highway infrastructure.
- Regularly interact with a range of stakeholder groups both within the FHWA and outside, including State highway agencies, the Transportation Research Board (TRB) and its National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP), the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), academia, industry, and trade associations.
- Represent FHWA at meetings with regards to the use of structural concrete in this highway infrastructure.
- Prepare and deliver oral presentations and technical articles to FHWA managers, scientists, and specialists, and others in the highway community to explain proposed research, to discuss technical issues in completed or on‑going work, and to present status and final reports.
- Serve as manager of the FHWA structural concrete research program.
- Serve as contracting officer representative (COR) on research contracts supporting the work of FHWA’s bridge engineering research program.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel will be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
This job is also being advertised for applicants eligible for status consideration. Current and former status employees and veterans who qualify under VEOA are encouraged to also apply to announcement: FHWA.HRT-2017-0007
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/462123000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.