The VA Black Hills Health Care System (VA BHHCS) is located in the beautiful Black Hills of Western South Dakota, where America vacations. South Dakota has No State Income Tax, is the Second Happiest and one of the Safest States in the nation, is home to GORP.com's Top Ten Scenic Drives and Top Ten National Forests, features an Outdoor Life's Top City for Outdoor Enthusiasts and hosts the legendary Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
VA BHHCS is where we live and work in rural small town settings, only minutes from Rapid City's shopping, dining, cultural and entertainment venues. We offer rich history, from Mammoths and Prehistoric Civilizations to the 7th Cavalry, Deadwood, the Star Spangled Banner and Mount Rushmore. The Black Hills includes stunning landscapes such as Harney Peak, Bear Butte, the Badlands, Sylvan Lake, the Needles Highway and the Black Hills National Forest.
With primary campuses at Fort Meade and Hot Springs and numerous Community Based Outpatient Clinics, VA BHHCS provides primary and secondary medical and surgical care, along with Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program services, for Veterans from North and South Dakota, Wyoming and Nebraska. VA Black Hills Health Care is part of the VA Midwest Health Care Network (VISN 23) -- where we've been caring for America's Heroes for over 100 years.
For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.Learn more about this agency
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
The incumbent serves as a HR Assistant providing assistant support to the BHHCS HR team in the areas of Recruitment and Processing and Records. Some of the duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides support to the HR team in the areas of processing and records, recruitment, special programs, and other duties as assigned.
- Performs work in support of a recruitment and placement function by performing coding and inputting personnel actions for a wide variety of personnel actions.
- Independently identifies and resolves processing problems involving legal authority and nature of action codes.
- Administrative/clerical support such as scheduling meetings, taking minutes at meetings, preparing professional standards boards, etc.
- Determines creditable service for leave and completion of probationary periods and makes adjustments to service computation dates.
- Supports the HR Specialists and the service by providing clerical assistance when needed.
- Conducts New Employee Orientation (NEO) and assists new hires in completing forms related to appointments, explains Federal employee benefits. Verifies veteran preference, prior Federal service, arranges for and completes all forms for physical qualifications.
- Establishes and maintains electronic Official Personnel Folders (eOPF).
- Insures followup codes are input into the HR Smart information system on licensure, proficiencies, and so forth.
- Sends out notices on followups and insures that services meet the specified time frames.
- Provides day-to-day assistance in recruitment for a variety of positions dealing with applicants in person, by telephone, or via correspondence.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 8:00am-4:30pm
Position Description Title/PD#: Human Resources Assistant (OA) 20102A-20101A
Location: Human Resources Management, Fort Meade or Hot Springs, SD
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required to other sites on occasion
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/462097200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.