About the Agency
GAO's work is designed to address four common goals:
- to help the Congress address current and emerging challenges to the well-being and financial security of the American people;
- to help the Congress to respond to changing security threats and the challenges of global interdependence;
- to help transform the Federal government to address national challenges; and
- to maximize the value of GAO by enabling quality, timely service to Congress and by being a leading practices Federal agency. To learn more about GAO please visit us on the web at http://www.gao.gov/careers/index.html.
This position is located in the Government Accountability Office (GAO), Financial Management Business Operations Office (FMBO), Financial Management (FM), Accounting and Financial Reporting Branch. FM is primarily responsible for the development and maintenance and management of GAO’s accounting operations, fiscal policy (including travel policy), and financial management reporting systems. FM prepares and ensures the propriety of reported financial information; develops agency travel guidance based on Federal Travel Regulations; provides information on vendor invoice payments; and provides user access to Delphi, the agency's financial system and custom reporting tool.
The incumbent will perform a variety of accounting analysis and financial reporting tasks and provide operational support in accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, property accounting, and financial reporting.
The selected candidate will be placed in the Program and Technical Development Program. The 2-year program prepares PT-1 employees to fully perform their professional responsibilities by acquiring or enhancing the competencies and work experiences that will enable them continued success at GAO. Employees complete the program on their 2-year anniversary date, or upon promotion to the PT-II level.
- Assists higher level accountants with oversight, review and analytical activities in support of overall financial management initiatives;
- Coordinates with external and internal GAO offices in the following areas: accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and property accounting;
- Monitors accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and property accounting activities and assists with operational tasks;
- Maintains and reviews official financial and accounting records for accuracy and completeness in support of internal and external financial audits;
- Reconciles and reviews cash, accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchase orders, abnormal balances, and other general ledger accounts;
- Prepares manual journal entries to resolve discrepancies identified from monthly reconciliation and review;
- Provides operational support required for certifying GAO’s financial information in Treasury’s government-wide accounting and reporting systems: CARS, GTAS, GFRS, IPAC, OTCnet, and SPS;
- Assists with developing accounting policy and guidance in accordance with FASAB standards and pronouncements, Treasury reporting requirements, and OMB circulars and guidance for use by FM staff and other GAO office;
- Advises senior level management on accounting operations and provides operational expert advice in specialized areas of accounting and financial reporting in order to resolve unprecedented problems; and
- Prepares and distributes recurring financial reports for internal review.