About the Agency
Position is being advertised concurrently under BR-DO-2016-359 for all current federal employees. If you are interested in applying under both announcement numbers, you must submit application packages for each.
Reclamation is seeking a professional looking for an opportunity to capitalize on his/her expertise as a Civil Engineer. You can make a difference in the West by assisting in meeting increasing water demands while protecting the environment.
Would you enjoy serving as a team leader in the field of Geotechnical Engineering? Responsibilities include planning, organizing, coordinating, and work facilitation for the preparation of designs and specifications for construction and modification of major dam structures.
Here is a great opportunity to join a dynamic water resource organization with excellent opportunities for career growth!
LOCATION: Technical Service Center; Geotechnical Services Division; Engineering Groups 1, 2, or 3 in Lakewood, Colorado.
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
The position requires a current and valid Professional Engineer's license.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this vacancy announcement.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a principal designer/team leader and perform geotechnical engineering evaluation, planning, organizing, coordination and work facilitation, specifically:
- Responsible for detailed planning, organizing, coordinating, and facilitating work necessary for the preparation of designs and specifications for construction of major embankment structures, concrete dam foundations, or geotechnical work related to other civil works projects.
- Directs the work of engineers and technicians on large projects.
- Design and analysis of a major embankment structure, concrete dam foundation, or design and analysis of geotechnical aspects of a major non-embankment structure project, including risk analyses of dams and dam foundations for static, seismic, and hydrologic related failure modes.
- Feasibility designs for embankment structure, concrete dam foundations, or foundation designs for non-embankment structures.
- Analysis and design of corrective measures for major geotechnical problems, such as major landslides, canal failures, or land subsidence.
- Ensures detailed technical coordination of engineering work at the designer level.
- Provides continuity to design input from start of specifications design data collection through the design and construction stages to transfer to O&M status.
- Provides technical overview of all components of a design to ensure that project requirements will be fulfilled by the design, that design criteria are consistent for all features of the project, and that design intent is implemented during construction.
- Provides cost-effective, functional, and sound designs that meet safety of dams requirements, and that ensure the public safety.