This position is located in the Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR), Climate Program Office with one vacancy in Silver Spring, MD.Learn more about this agency
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-3 is equivalent to the GS-11/12. The ZP-4 is equivalent to the GS-13/14.
The full performance level of this position is ZP-4.
If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you may be non-competitively promoted if you perform successfully and if recommended by management.
This position is also announced under vacancy number OAR-AA-2017-0004, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
* A one year probationary period may be required.
* Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit.
* This vacancy may be used to fill other Physical Scientist, ZP-1301-3/4 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
As a Physical Scientist, you will perform the following duties:
- Manage a diverse ocean observing portfolio and encourage consideration of new observing technologies including coordination of the Joint Technical Commission for Oceanography and Marine Meteorology (JCOMM), Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS) and the Global Climate Observing System (GCOS) requirements.
- Perform full range of analyses for a wide variety of requests, including very difficult, complex or unusual assessments for atmospheric, oceanic or other technological assessments.
- Develop and plan projects including contributing to strategic planning and evaluation processes and supporting preparation of information to propose, defend and manage program budgets.
- Author papers and presentations to distribute to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Represent the organization on technical committees and provide technical advice to scientists in other agencies, nations, academia and industry.
25% or less - Up to 33% of domestic travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified United States Citizens or Nationals.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/461042500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.