About the Agency
The Federal Election Commission is an independent federal regulatory agency established by the Federal Election Campaign Act (the FECA). It is governed by six Commissioners appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate. The FEC has exclusive jurisdiction for the administration, interpretation, and civil enforcement of the FECA, which requires disclosure of campaign contributions and expenditures by candidates for federal office and committees supporting those candidates, and imposes limitations on the amount and sources of such contributions. The legal work at the Commission regularly involves important and complex issues implicating the First Amendment.
The FEC is currently located in Penn Quarter in northwest Washington, DC near several Metro subway and bus stations. In approximately October of 2017, the FEC will be moving to 1050 1st Street, NE, similarly situated near public transportation in the NoMa neighborhood.
This position is located within the Procurement Office within the Office of the Chief Financial Officer within the Federal Election Commission. The position provides the full range of contract services for the agency.
As a Contract Specialist (serving in an entry level capacity in a career ladder), you will, under supervision:
- Complete classroom and on-the-job training to acquire, exercise, and maintain knowledge of the duties inherent in the administration and awarding of firm-fixed-price contracts
- Acquire products and services.
- Make purchases using simplified acquisition procedures (to include the commercial government purchase card).
- Solicit price quotations orally, or in writing for purchases under the simplified acquisition threshold.
- Review requisitions for adequacy of the statement of work, justification to support the purchase, and any justification to support limiting competition.
- Review justifications for sole source procurement actions and prepare documentation.
- Be responsible for conducting market research, committing and obligating funding
- Place orders when appropriate by issuing delivery orders to GSA Contractors offering the best value, that meet the needs of the Government.
- Solicit, negotiate, administer, close out and terminate purchase orders and contracts for a wide variety of commodities including: furniture, telecommunication equipment, and various services and maintenance efforts.
- Develop, implement, and review contracting plans for pre-award, post-award, price/cost analysis, and a wide variety of procurement activities.
- Carefully review proposed request and recommend proper format and procedure for compliance with regulations established by the FAR
- Carry out assignments to include determining the approach to be taken or methodology to be used, and determining the depth of analysis required.
- Coordinate matters with technical specialist, legal specialists and other contract personnel.
- Review requests, analyze requirements, and recommend revisions to statements of work or specifications.
- Use knowledge of a variety of: program objectives, technical services and commercial business practices to identify sources, analyze financial data and proposals to participate in planning, negotiation and administration.
- Perform contract administration functions until final delivery and payments are completed and contracts are closed and retired.
- Maintain contract files pertaining to all phases of procurement from solicitation to contract award, post award administration, and final retirement of files.
- Identify and correct errors made in purchasing and contracting process to include pricing, quantity variations, discount terms, delivery terms, clarifies ambiguous purchase descriptions, computer errors, etc.
- Coordinate with customers to determine the availability of funds and obtains additional funds when applicable.
- Prepare contract modifications setting forth the revised terms and conditions.
- Write and administer Blanket Purchase Agreements (BPA?s) to support recurring requirements.
Your duties at the GS-09, may also include:
- Pre/post-award and termination activities,
- Developing, implementing and analyzing data requirements for planning and measurement systems
- Analyzing performance of procurement activities against various procurement indicators and goals
- Analyzing data to determine trends
- Assistance in tracking/monitoring contract actions to ensure compliance with GSA policy, administrative procedures, regulations, and statutes