The Inspector General heads an independent organization responsible for audit, investigation, fraud control, and designated security services related to all Department of Labor (DOL) programs and operations. The Inspector General provides leadership and coordination and recommends policies for activities designated to promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of programs and operations, as well as to prevent and detect fraud and abuse in such operations in accordance with the Inspector General Act of 1978.Learn more about this agency
The Office of Audit (OA) is responsible for conducting and supervising audits relating to the Department of Labor’s programs and operations; recommending policies for activities designed to promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of the Department’s programs and operations; and preventing and detecting fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement in these programs and operations.
The Information Technology Audits (ITA) function, located in Washington, D.C., has responsibility for performing audits, evaluations, and reviews of information and information technology (IT) in the following areas across the DOL enterprise: information collection, handling, processing, and distribution; IT systems’ hardware, software and infrastructure; information security; and system development life cycle phases. Additionally, ITA operates a data mining and analytics function to support OA’s ongoing audit work and future audit planning efforts. Due to maintaining a high-level of IT expertise, ITA is often called upon to review government-wide and departmental policies, processes and practices.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as an IT Specialist that leads data science projects specific to developing business intelligent solutions that encompass data mining, data analytics, and predictive analysis using vast amounts of data across disparate systems and databases.
This position is at the full performance level.
This position is outside the bargaining unit.
No Relocation or Permanent Change of Station Incentives will be offered. No Recruitment Incentives will be offered.
1. Uses data mining and analytics (DM&A) techniques that includes heavy reliance on obtaining access to heterogeneous information systems; large, complex databases; supplemental reports, data dictionaries, and information from interviews of subject matter experts.
2. Determines the appropriate software packages and computer programming scripts to use in accessing and exporting data from multiple sources into correctly configured data stores for DM&A use.
3. Independently designs and develops new data requirements and approaches to knowledge discovery to solve known business problems and/or demonstrate patterns, trends, relationships and anomalies of particular interest or concern.
4. Cleans disparate data from multiple sources and formats in preparation for using skills and experience related to computer science, including, but not limited to, using a variety of state-of-the art programming languages such as JAVA, R, Python, Anaconda, SQL, C++, SAS and customized programming scripts.
5. Takes statistical and computational analyses and turns these into graphs, charts, and animations; create static and dynamic visualizations such as motion charts, digital maps and word maps that clearly show insights from data and corresponding analytics;
6. Writes convincing reports for management on the results of DM&A activities, review the work of others performing similar work and assist others in the use of the DM&A applications, including others using DM&A results in the performance of audits and investigations.
Occasional travel - Occasional Travel
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Current/former Federal employees w/competitive/reinstatement eligibility; ICTAP and CTAP eligibles in the local commuting area; Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) eligibles.
Also advertised as job announcement DE-17-OIG-OA-19 for non-status applicants. To be considered for each vacancy, applicants MUST apply to BOTH.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459818900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.