About the Agency
This career developmental position will develop into that of a Electrical Engineer. The employee may be noncompetitively promoted when qualified and recommended by management, however, promotions are not guaranteed. The full performance level of this position is GS-12. Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. To be eligible, applicants must apply within two years of degree or certificate completion (except for veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, who will have up to six years after degree completion to apply). Successful applicants are placed in a one-year excepted service, career developmental program which may include specialized training, formal rotational assignments, and other developmental activities. Under the formal training program applicants will be provided a mentor and execute an Individual Development Plan outlining training requirements and program expectations. Participants who successfully complete the program may be converted to term or permanent positions. To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
1) Have successfully completed at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
2) Demonstrate successful job performance.
3) Meet the Office of Personnel Management’s qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
Where will I be working:
Western Area Power Administration
Upper Great Plains Region, Multiple duty locations, Billings, MT, Miles City Montana, Fort Peck, Montana, Huron, South Dakota, or Watertown, South Dakota
- Assist in the design and development of electrical engineering devices, equipment, facilities, or systems using established criteria or specifications.
- Assist in the review and monitoring of testing and test results of electrical engineering devices, facilities, system or their equipment or components to ensure proper functionality. Identify electrical engineering problems and recommend corrective action.
- Review technical electrical engineering project design documents and submittals.
Incumbent works under closer supervision and works in a developmental capacity performing assignments and completing training, both of which are aimed in preparing the incumbent to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties outlined in the job description. The incumbent receives progressively more responsible assignments as experience and training are received to the next higher level position.
- Occasional Travel
- Overnight travel may be required up to 11 days per month.