The selectee for this position serves as a Technical Information Specialist for the Dudley Knox Library, Naval Postgraduate School.
This position may be filled at the GS-11 with promotion potential to the GS-12, or it may be filled directly at the GS-12. Promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
GS-11 salary range: $70,333-$91,433
GS-12 salary range: $84,302-$109,592
- Develop, implement, administer, and troubleshoot modules of library systems.
- Provide project support for library and joint campus technology initiatives, such as distance learning programs, optimization of lab environments, digitization of library resources, and web based delivery of information services.
- Assist in continual evaluation of the library's web presence.
- Facilitate and coordinate communication among library staff in the development of web based content and services.
- Provide assistance in managing the library's technology resources, including software and hardware.
- Assist with reviewing technology needs and requirements and recommends or implements configuration, upgrades and purchases.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen.
- Males must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. www.sss.gov
- Selectee must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Selectee may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Selectee is required to participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- See Other Information section for additional requirements.
A secret security clearance is a requirement of this position. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a position offer or removal. If you possess a security clearance, please indicate the level and termination date in your resume.
Must be able to lift items weighing up to 40 pounds.
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
Applicants must meet one of the following basic requirements from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards:
- You have completed a full 4-year course of study that meets all the requirements for a bachelor's degree with major study in library science, information science, computer science, or another closely related field. NOTE: YOU MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETE COPY OF YOUR TRANSCRIPTS OR AN ITEMIZED LIST OF COLLEGE COURSES WHICH INCLUDES EQUIVALENT INFORMATION FROM THE TRANSCRIPT.
- You possess at least four years of experience that provided knowledge of the basic principles, theories, practices, techniques, and terminology of a discipline or subject-matter field and an understanding of the standard methods, procedures, and techniques of research and analysis in the subject-matter field. The subject matter fields for this position are library science, information science, computer science or another closely related field. Such experience must have been equivalent to that which would have been gained through a 4-year college curriculum.
- You have a combination of education as described above and experience as described above, which when combined, is equivalent to 100% of the basic requirements.
In addition, applicants must also meet the minimum qualification requirements for the grade(s) in which they are applying for, listed below.
Minimum Qualifications for GS-11: Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
1) Assist with planning, implementing, and configuring web based systems and hardware; 2) Provide assistance with building, installing, and configuring academic computer resources; and 3) Gathering data to assist with developing plans, preparing documents, and developing training related to emerging technology trends. NOTE: This information must be supported in your resume to be considered for the position.
You have at least 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) related to this positon. NOTE: YOU MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETE COPY OF YOUR TRANSCRIPTS OR AN ITEMIZED LIST OF COLLEGE COURSES WHICH INCLUDES EQUIVALENT INFORMATION FROM THE TRANSCRIPT.
You have a combination of experience as described above and education as described above, which when combined, is equivalent to 100% of the qualification requirement.
Minimum Qualifications for the GS-12: Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
1) Planning, implementing, and configuring web based systems and hardware; 2) Building, installing, and configuring academic computer resources; 3) Troubleshooting and maintaining computer resources; and 4) Developing plans, preparing documents, and developing training related to emerging technology trends. NOTE: This information must be supported in your resume to be considered for the position.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management web site: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1400/technical-information-services-series-1412/
You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
As part of the application process, you must complete and submit an occupational questionnaire. To preview this questionnaire and determine if your experience matches the required skills for this position, click the following link: View Assessment Questions
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating and/or appointment eligibility.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you must submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume. See OPM's General Policies for information on crediting education.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the qualification requirements if the applicant can provide documentation indicating that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide such evidence when applying for further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
This Position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Additional vacancies may be filled by this announcement.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
The Department of the Navy uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Federal Annuitant Information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf
ICTAP Applicants: To be considered well-qualified and exercise selection priority as an ICTAP candidate, displaced Federal employees must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a rating of 85 or higher. For more information about ICTAP eligibility please review the following link: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/ICTAP_Statement.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
When the application process is complete, we will review your resume to ensure you meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume and responses to the Occupational Questionnaire, along with your supporting documentation to determine your ability to demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Knowledge of Development and Maintenance of Academic Systems
2. Skill in Developing and Supporting Online Content Delivery
3. Skill in Managing Academic Hardware and Software
You will be evaluated and rated under Category Rating selection procedures. Additional points are not added for veterans' preference; however, preference is still applied. Applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories:
Best Qualified- Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for announced position.
Well Qualified- Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for announced position.
Qualified- Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for announced position.
If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities or you may be found ineligible/not qualified.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on what you are claiming (i.e., applying as a veteran or disabled veteran, applying as a military spouse, etc). Please review the following link to see if there are any documents you need to provide: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/ApplicantChecklist_External.pdf
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Department of the Navy offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, a 401K-type retirement plan, and an Employee Assistance Program. More information can be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Benefits/Pages/Default.aspx
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Complete Resume.
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire. View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Other supporting documentation as required. Please see the "REQUIRED DOCUMENTS" section and review the applicant checklist link to determine if there are other documents you are required to submit.
Your complete application (resume, assessment questionnaire, and all supporting documents) must be received by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on Friday, January 13, 2017. Applications received after Friday, January 13, 2017 may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. If more than one resume is received, only the last resume received and processed will be reviewed.
Note: To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account: https://mydon.usajobs.gov/Account/Login select Application Status, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position. You'll be directed to the Details page in Application Manager that will display the status of your application, documentation received and processed, and any correspondence related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process so please plan appropriately.
***You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.***
If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents follow the directions located at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/Application_Info_How_to_Apply_via_Fax.pdf
Note: Faxing an application package (eg. 1203-FX) will not allow you to review and track the status of your application unless you have completed the application process in USAJOBS.
This Vacancy ID is 1869462
Do not email or send hard copy resumes/applications to the Contact Information or Agency Information listed in this vacancy announcement. All resumes/applications received at the addresses listed in the Contact Information or Agency Information will be destroyed and will not be considered for this vacancy announcement.
**It is the applicants responsibility to verify that all information in their resume and documents, whether uploaded or faxed, are received, legible, and accurate. HR will not modify answers/documents submitted by an applicant. **
Agency contact information
DON Employment Info Center EIC
Address62271 NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL
2000 NAVY PENTAGON
WASHINGTON, DC 20350
When the application process is complete, your application will be reviewed to determine if you meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements for which you requested consideration. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume and responses to the questionnaire, along with your supporting documentation to determine your level of knowledge, skill, and ability, related to the job requirements.
Best qualified applicants will be referred to the hiring manager. The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision.
Stay informed of changes to your application status by signing up for automatic email alerts at: https://www.usajobs.gov/Applicant/Application/ListApplications.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/458930200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.