As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.Learn more about this agency
Emergency Manager Duties and Responsibilities: The duties and responsibilities of VHA OEM Area Emergency Managers are described below. This list is not meant to be inclusive as specific responsibilities will vary depending on assigned VHA facilities, inclusion of an FCC within the assigned area of responsibility, inclusion of VISN Liaison responsibilities, special duties or assignments, leadership priorities and mission requirements.
- Provides direct support and assistance in the development, implementation, exercising and implementation of VHA District, VISN and facility Comprehensive Emergency Management Programs within assigned area of responsibility.
- Supports incident management operations at assigned VHA facilities during internal and external emergencies and exercises.
- Supports PRCs and SSCs s under the VA-DOD Contingency Plan in assigned area of responsibility.
- Supports assigned Federal Coordinating Center(s), develop and maintain the NDMS Patient Reception Areas including plans, community coordination, Memoranda of Understanding (MOA's) with NDMS hospitals, conduct of exercises and other duties specified in the FCC CONOPS.
- Provides support to Emergency Management Committees at assigned facilities.
- Assists assigned facilities with EMCIP self-assessments and preparations for EMCAP facility assessments.
- Using results from EMCAP self-assessments and program office facility assessments assist assigned facilities with development, implementation and tracking of performance improvement and corrective action plans.
- Supports the Facility Emergency Manager and Emergency Management Committee in the conduct of an annual CEM program review at each assigned facility.
- Supports development of EMPI requests for funding and reviews funding requests for all assigned VHA facilities prior to submission in PIMS.
- Supports First Receiver Decontamination Programs at assigned facilities and validates completion of required exercises consistent with VHA policy.
- Conducts annual inspections of VHA All-Hazard Caches at assigned facilities and provide an inspection report to the Facility Director.
- Supports facility, network, regional and national emergency management training events and initiatives.
- Collaborates with regional, state, and local emergency preparedness agencies to prepare for major medical disasters in their areas.
- Assists Regional Emergency Managers (REM) and other Area Emergency Managers, as appropriate.
- At the direction of the Regional Emergency Manager/Regional Lead, responds to incidents and events within the region as part of an organic regional augmentation capability.
- Actively participates in workgroups, advisory committees and other duties, special projects and activities as assigned by the supervisor and OEM leadership.
- Carries a government provided cell phone/smart phone and responds to calls after hours, on holidays and weekends as necessary to support the OEM mission.
- Is prepared to deploy within 24 hours of receipt of an order to deploy.
- Deploy when assigned as part of a Functional Augmentation Support Team (FAST), complete requisite training and maintain operational readiness government of government provided equipment.
Other Responsibilities Include but are not Limited to:
- Researches legislation, Excutive Orders, regulations, and analyzes impact on agency programs.
- Performs program work to effect policy.
- Serves as resource person and consultant to Medical Centers and facilities.
- Reviews regional planning programs for effectiveness.
- Coordinates and/or participates in implementation and evaluation of exercises.
- Designs exercise scenarios.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with the general public, media key officials, agency stakeholders, and/or community groups to communicate and disseminate information.
- Performs real life emergency/disaster assistance activities.
- Exercises responsibilities related to the issuance of alert notification to government agencies.
- Exercises responsibilities to deliver adequate facilities and communication for effective response and recover operations.
- Analyzes current resources.
Work Schedule: 8:00am-4:30pm Monday - Friday
Position Description Title/PD#: Emergency Management Specialist/08421-A
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
25% or less - Within the United States - Possibly Overseas
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/457407900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.