About the Agency
Transcripts from an accredited institution are required (see required documents)
About the Location: Anchorage, Alaska, with a population of 292,000, offers rich culture from unique shopping and dining to fishing, hunting, camping, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and dog sledding. It is home to the University of Alaska Anchorage and other smaller community colleges. Winter delivers snow and ice conditions from November through March with 6 to 8 hours of daylight and average temperatures of 20 to-10°F; Summer sees up to 18 hours of daylight and average temperatures in the mid-70s.
- Currently, this position is authorized 5.31% Cost of Living Allowance in addition to the salary listed.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay.
About the Position:
This is an interdisciplinary position which may be filled under any of the following titles and occupational series, depending on the qualifications of the applicant and needs of the agency:
- Regulatory Specialist - 0401
- Fish Biologist - 0482
- Wildlife Biologist - 0486
- Physical Scientist - 1301
- Hydrologist - 1315
- Environmental Engineer - 0819
Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Recent Graduates
Program. Click herefor more
information on Pathways program participation. After Program completion, Department of the Army Recent Graduates MAY be
converted to a permanent position or to a term position (a project-based term of employment lasting between one and four years).
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent
- Successfully completed at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to
all requirements of the Program.
- EXCEPTION: Positions in the Instructional Systems (GS-1750) series, Operations Research (GS-1515) series, Accounting and Budget (GS-05XX) series, and all occupations covered by the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) require a 24-month appointment period in order to complete the training and/or certification requirements specific to each occupation prior to conversion.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualifications for the position to
which the Recent Graduate will be converted
To learn more, please visit the Office of Personnel Management webpage, Hiring Authorities: Students & Recent Graduates.
Who May Apply:
Positions are open to:
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a
qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational
or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
- Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
At the full performance level of the target conversion position (GS-11), you will:
Assist with the development of general permits (GP) ensuring that the physical, biological and chemical integrity of the nation's water resources are improved and enhanced and that regulated activities in these waters are in the best interest of the people, considering environmental, social, and economic concerns.Serve as a District representative on groups and task forces with missions of interest to the District and/or the regulatory program, and to complete assignments related to special regulatory initiatives directed toward effective, efficient, and consistent application of the regulatory program.
- Evaluate Department of the Army permit applications, conduct pre-application consultations, evaluate applications, monitor permit compliance and/or enforcement cases for activities in waters of the united States and/or navigable waters of the United States within the regulatory authority of the Clean Water Act, the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899, and the Marine Protection, Research, and Sanctuaries Act.
After program completion, Department of the Army Pathways Recent Graduates MAY be converted to a permanent or term appointment without further competition.
This position is being filled at the GS-07 level with potential conversion to a position with a full performance level at GS-11.
- Occasional Travel
- Temporary Travel is required up to 5%