This position is located in the Museum Collections and Operations, National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI), Smithsonian Institution (SI). The employee is a highly skilled expert in collections management procedures and protocols and is responsible for the physical care, accountability, processing, and packing of all collections (including loans) located at NMAI-DC.Learn more about this agency
- Responsible for the safety and maintenance of museum collections items and loans at NMAI-DC.
- Oversees the safe packing, transport, movement, and handling of objects in NMAI custody at NMAI-DC, displaying a knowledge of collections care practices that promote the merging of Native beliefs and protocols for collections care with museum standards of preservation and access.
- Directs staff, contractors, and other authorized individuals in safe handling of objects, the implementation of installation and deinstallation plans, and safe movement of objects. Oversees the work of staff, volunteers, and interns assigned to assist in NMAI-DC exhibits, and evaluates results of assigned tasks.
- Acts as the on-site Registrar serving as primary liaison for the Registration Office and outside lenders regarding materials on loan, the coordination of shipping arrangements, and maintenance of a complete and current inventory of collections in storage and on exhibit.
- Works in cooperation with a number of Smithsonian offices including the National Collections Office, the Office of Protection Services, the Risk Management Office, and several offices within the Smithsonian Facilities including the Office of Facilities Management and Reliability and the Office of Safety, Health, and Environmental Management. May serve on SI wide committees regarding collections management issues. The incumbent represents the Museum to representatives of the Native American community, tribal officials, other museums and galleries, national and international governments, private foundations or cultural institutions, scholars of all disciplines usually through specialized tours of NMAI-DC.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals.
Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities may also apply to Job Announcement #17R-JC-302236-MPA-NMAI.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/456897800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.