The Department of Labor (DOL) seeks to attract and retain a high performing and diverse workforce in which employees’ differences are respected and valued to better meet the varying needs of the diverse customers we serve. DOL fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that promotes collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all individuals are able to participate and contribute to their full potential.Learn more about this agency
This position serves as the Branch Chief in DOL, Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Office of Technology and Survey Processing (OTSP), Directorate of Technology and Computing Services, Division of Technology Measurement and Strategic Intiatives, Branch of IT Contracts.
BLS is the principal Federal agency responsible for measuring labor market activity, working conditions, and price changes in the economy. Its mission is to collect, analyze, and disseminate essential economic information to support public and private decision-making. As an independent statistical agency, BLS serves its diverse user communities by providing products and services that are objective, timely, accurate, and relevant. OTSP provides IT support to all aspects of BLS data development initiatives.
- This position is at its full performance level.
- This position is outside the bargaining unit.
- A writing sample may be required at time of interview.
- This announcement may be used to fill additional like vacancies.
- This position will not be filled until the Department's Placement Assistance Programs have been fully utilized.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- As Branch Chief for IT Contracts and Training, incumbent is responsible for managing the day-to-day activities in the IT Contracts and Training area for OTSP and supervises the work of the staff that work in that branch.
- The incumbent is responsible for the allocation of resources and assignment of work in order to accomplish the BLS mission in accord with priorities that have been agreed upon with the Division Chief and senior IT executives. The incumbent is responsible for establishing performance goals, assigning work, tracking achievements of his/her staff, appraising employee performance, providing technical and managerial direction to subordinate staff, approving employee leave requests, and reporting to senior BLS IT management and BLS program managers. The incumbent is the initiating official for personnel actions and the requesting official for procurement actions. The incumbent is also responsible for initiating and monitoring labor hour task orders.
- Works closely with senior management and participates in the planning, development, implementation, maintenance, review and evaluation of a broad, diversified, and complex range of policies, standards, and services in support of the Bureau's IT Contract programs. The incumbent serves as the lead Contracting Officer's Representative and works with senior project managers and administrative procurement staff to develop acquisition strategies designed to enhance the goals of OTSP.
- Assists the Division Chief in overseeing policy for IT spending, acquisition of IT services, data administration, and information standards.
- Assists the Division Chief and senior IT managers in long-range planning by providing IT policy and contracting expertise to key Bureau executives.
- Makes major contributions to Directorate or Office-wide initiatives and/or policy decisions to improve IT methodology, system operations, and/or organizational effectiveness. Represents OTSP on BLS and DOL teams, committees, etc. Represents BLS with contractors, DOL, and external customers.
- Incumbent also serves as the senior program analyst responsible for researching and coordinating pre-award and post-award contracting functions, as well as administering the contract implementation involving IT procurements of significant importance to the agency.
- Oversees and guides the performance of selected pre-award and post-award contracting activities, including assisting and guiding the BLS IT Project offices in the development of Statements of Work (SOW) and Task Orders (TOs), providing guidance on the best acquisition process for actions utilizing existing streamlined processes whenever possible, managing the preparation and documentation of contract files, preparing solicitations, overseeing the evaluation of IT proposals, documenting the source selection process, and other contracting requirements.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. Citizens; ICTAP and CTAP eligibles in the local commuting area.
Also advertised as Vacancy Announcement# MS-17-BLS-OT-031 for status applicants. To be considered for each, apply to BOTH jobs.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/455875600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.