The Agricultural Research Service (ARS) is the United States Department of Agricultures chief scientific research agency and one of the worlds premiere scientific organizations. ARS Postdoctoral Research Associates are hired to supplement a lead scientist's research on agricultural problems of high national priority affecting American agriculture.
U.S. citizens, permanent residents who meet certain eligibility requirements and non-citizens who meet certain eligibility requirements
Additional information on the employment of non-citizens can be found at: http://www.afm.ars.usda.gov/hrd/EmployForeignNationals/index.htm
**ANNOUNCEMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED OR NOVEMBER 17, 2017**Learn more about this agency
**This is a Research Associate, temporary appointment Not-to-Exceed 2 years**
The incumbent will:
- Design and conduct research studies to characterize the small molecule metabolites and peptide composition of fermented vegetables, including but not limited to cucumber, cabbage, and asparagus, collecting storing and analyzing sample for routine fermentation biochemistry and global metabolite and peptide characterization using GCxGC-ToFMS and LC-MS platforms.
- Collect, properly store and analyze samples for routine fermentation biochemistry and global metabolite and peptide characterization using GCxGC-ToFMS and LC-MS platforms.
- Employ a metabolomics approach to determine the effect of lactic acid fermentation on metabolite profiles, bioactive peptide composition, y-animobutyric acid (GABA), polyphenol concentration, and related bioactivities of fermented vegetables.
- Communicate research progress and results in written and verbal forms; and writing publications.
- Develop or modify existing analytical methods as needed.
- Publish manuscripts in well regarded peer-reviewed journals.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required to attend scientific meetings and conduct research.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents seeking U.S. Citizenship.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/455804700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.