WHO MAY APPLY: Open to all United States Citizens.
LOCATION: This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Office of Operations, Office of Food and Feed Operations (OFFO). Duty location will be determined upon selection.
The salary listed in this vacancy announcement is at the base level. The geographical locality pay will be determined upon selection.
TYPE OF POSITION: This position is being filled on a full-time permanent basis.
This announcement may be used to make additional selections within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
This position will require you to travel within the following states/territories as determine by management (Florida, Idaho, Oregon, Hawaii, Missouri, Vermont, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, California, Washington, Puerto Rico) as well as internationally.Learn more about this agency
As a produce program expert within an assigned region, provides extensive advisory, liaison, and consultative technical assistance services for produce safety programs to the regulated community, State, Federal, Foreign, Tribal, and third-party regulators (i.e., auditors), university extension services, and Agency management. Major duties include:
- Serves as a produce technical expert supporting regional policy implementation and as a primary point of contact for planning and coordinating assigned regional programs.
- Advises on new advances in technology related to produce, new programs, the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), in particular, the Produce Safety Rule, significant court decisions, and any new trends or scientific findings involving food products.
- Serves as program specialist and technical expert in supporting cases where violations involve precedent setting legal actions or the issues affect major industry practices.
- Leads the development, collection and interpretation of data regarding the safety of fresh produce and leads the development and evaluation of programs and the implementation of related laws and regulations in the assigned region designed to ensure consistency and balance throughout ORA and inter-Agency programs.
- Prepares and gives presentations at briefings, training sessions, consumer industry workshops, etc. This includes preparation of background materials on programs and policies for presentation and/or use in briefings and other meetings.
- Plans, conducts, and directs highly technical, complex, and multi-faceted inspections and in-depth investigations related to the growing, harvesting, packing, and holding of fresh produce for human consumption, is highly skilled in interview techniques as well as criminal investigation techniques; and routinely makes recommendations to regional and office management officials as to whether or not an operation involved in fresh produce growing, harvesting, packing, and holding is in compliance regarding Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) legislation, in particular, the Produce Safety Rule.
- Performs or leads multi-disciplinary teams to conduct in-depth investigations involving complaints of injury or death attributable to products regulated by the FDA. Investigations of injuries or death require special coordination and a high degree of insight and knowledge.
50% or less - This position may require 100% remote working and domestic and international travel.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/455186700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.