Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The purpose of this position is to restore teeth prepared by dentist and perform other reversible intra-oral procedures as well as providing chairside assistance of general dentistry of restorative, prosthodontics, surgical, endodontic and periodontal treatment and other supportive services in the dental clinic. This position may require incumbent to travel to a field clinic as needed. This position is located at the Chinle Service Unit, Dental Department, Chinle, Arizona.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Restores teeth prepared by dentist with permanent and temporary fillings; places cavity bases and liners on prepared tooth; selects, adapts and places matrices and wedges as required to normal and abnormal teeth.
- Assists dentist at chairside as anticipated or required in all phases of general dentistry, utilizing techniques for four-handed dentistry. Keeps alert to condition of patient during treatment for signs of fainting, shock or other distress. Provides interpretation and translation of medical and dental terms for dentists and non-English speaking patients.
- Properly lays out all instruments and materials needed for each treatment, prepares patient and operatory. Obtains and records appropriate vitals before treatment.
- Properly stores and maintains adequate supply levels and cleanliness of dental station, sterilizes instruments, materials and equipment. Keeps all instruments sharpened.
- Performs general office duties, makes appointments, checks on the status of appointments, requests for patient charts in the absence of the Medical Support Assistant using current Service Unit Resource and Patient Management System (RPMS). Participates in community health fairs and school prevention activities upon request and/or as needed.
- Occasional Travel
- Work involves travel to different field clinics within the Service Unit and assignment to different clinics on an as needed basis.