This position is located in the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), Division of Extramural Research (DER), Population Dynamics Branch (PDB).
The mission of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), is to ensure that every person is born healthy and wanted, that women suffer no harmful effects from reproductive processes, and that all children have the chance to achieve their full potential for healthy and productive lives, free from disease or disability, and to ensure the health, productivity, independence, and well-being of all people through optimal rehabilitation.
The Population Dynamics Branch (1) develops and supports research and research training programs in demography and population dynamics; (2) supports research in the causes and consequences of population structure and change-including fertility, family demography, urbanization, migration; (3) promotes and supports research on the influence of behavioral and social science on reproductive health-including sexually transmitted diseases, HIV/AIDS, family planning, and infertility; and (4) supports research on data collection and human health, productivity, behavior, and development at the population level using such methods as inferential statistics, natural experiments, policy experiments, statistical modeling, and gene/environment interaction studies.
This position serves as a recognized expert for the Branch and the Division in utilizing the professional science of demography in supporting the scientific study of human populations.
The ideal candidate possesses a post-baccalaureate degree with research expertise sociology or demography.Learn more about this agency
As a Sociologist (Demographer) you will:
- Develop strategic and operational initiatives that incorporate current and emerging concepts and theories in demography, including fertility, mortality and morbidity, migration, population growth and decline, and the causes and consequences of demographic change, to advance the mission of the branch in the scientific study of population.
- Identify opportunities, problem areas, research gaps, program needs and formulate plans to achieve an integrated, responsive, and innovative program in social demography and economics.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to advance the scientific mission of the Population Dynamics Branch.
- Evaluate the significance of trends and emerging fields and assesses the adequacy of research competency within population dynamics to achieve a quality and quantity of research to meet the agency's mission and objectives.
- Provide scientific leadership and direction to the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of research grants in the area of social demography and economics.
- Develop detailed funding and budget recommendations to the Branch Chief, the Director of the Division of Extramural Research, the NICHD Director, and other NICHD staff.
- Present and disseminate information about advances and promising new approaches and developments in social demography and economics, results of population dynamics research, or other program-related information at relevant scientific meetings and major national and international meetings.
- Develop articles for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals or other publications.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/451712900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.