This position is located in the Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of African American History and Culture. The incumbent reports to the Assistant Director for External Affairs of and is responsible for creating, developing, executing and evaluating a comprehensive social media strategy that leverages museum content to educate and inform the public, while insuring consistency and the quality of content across the Museum’s social media channels. The incumbent will coordinate with stakeholders across the museum to develop a participatory, creative and social experience for the Museum. The purpose of this position is to engage audiences both on-site and throughout the nation by creating personal connections and dialogues.Learn more about this agency
- Works with key stakeholders to create a comprehensive social media strategy/plan to define programs that use social media marketing tools and techniques that will increase visibility, membership and traffic, and will leverage museum content and programs to increase the museum’s reach and audience participation.
- Curates content and oversees the design of social media efforts.
- Implements and manages social media programs to insure consistency and quality of content across all social media outlets.
- Develops a social media strategy focused on informing, educating, and creating dialogues about American history through the African American lens and the viewer’s place in that history.
- Fosters support for the Museum by creating digital fundraising campaigns and strategic partnerships.
- Integrates social media with the NMAAHC website and is responsible for live streaming and videography.
- Creates and monitors blogs and manages a blogger outreach program.
- Develops and implements policies, procedures and best practices that insure consistency of voice across all of the social media channels that appropriately manage the museum’s reputation, and leverage social media to meet the museum’s education and participation goals.
- Monitors and enforces security, copyright, trademark, branding policies as well as accessibility, data protection, e-marketing and e-commerce laws across the Museum’s social media channels.
- Determines which metrics are most appropriate to measure the Museum’s social media strategy and and reports on the effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results. Regularly provides feedback and data-driven insights gained from social media monitoring to evolve communication strategies in a timely fashion.
- Monitors trends in social media tools and applications to increase the use of social media and experiments with new and alternative ways to leverage social media activities to insure the Museum is represented on new channels.
- Supervises and manages an interdisciplinary social media team.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities may also apply to Job Announcement 16R-BN-302145-MPA-NMAAHC.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/451534900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.