About the Agency
This position is located in the Office of Secretary, Immediate Office, Office of the Chief Data Officer (CDO). As the Deputy Chief Data Officer the incumbent will assist the CDO in implementation and communication of program initiatives and efforts. This entails making sure the initiatives and efforts reflect the priorities of the Secretary, Deputy Secretary, CDO, and Department; making sure the appropriate stakeholders inside and outside the Department concur with the initiatives; and being responsible for the final product of key projects in furtherance of the Department's open government data efforts.
The incumbent will also work with the CDO to support the Department's open government data efforts, including coordination of how the Department creates integrated, interoperable data sets and products and presents these to the public.
This position is a perfect opportunity for the incumbent to create compelling, engaging, and intuitive visualizations that showcase the power of the Department's data assets.
The Deputy Chief Data Officer, in coordination with the Chief Data Officer, draws on knowledge of data science, modern technology, and public policy to establish the enterprise data vision and strategy for how the Department leverages bureaus' data assets and develops collaborative practices with federal, state, local, and tribal agencies, and the private sector to deliver value to the public.
Duties for the Deputy Chief Data Officer include, but are not limited to:
- Develops strategies to decrease the cost of managing data and increase the value of DOC data;
- Serves as an external advocate for value of DOC data products and enterprise data vision;
- Builds and manages a departmental data working group which coordinates data sharing and data dissemination efforts across DO;
- Assists the CDO in implementation and communication of program initiatives and efforts, including the Commerce Data Service;
- Manages relationships with private-sector partners, government entities, and academic institutions in order to incorporate their best practices, techniques, and capabilities, and
- Directs critical program segments, major scientific projects, or key high level organizations with comparable scope and impact.