About the Agency
This position is located in the Office of Secretary, Immediate Office, Office of the Chief Data Officer (CDO). As an Information Technology Specialist (DataMgt), Senior Engineer, the incumbent will lead the technical design and development of new data products and play a key role in shaping the Engineering Team. Working under the direction of the Head of Engineering, senior engineers guide, mentor, and manage junior engineers to ensure that projects are successfully executed and are aligned with the needs for DOC’s 12 Bureaus. Your hands-on contributions to software and data engineering will ensure products have an impact on DOC bureaus and the American people.
This position is perfect for the experienced Information Technology Specialist (DataMgt), Senior Engineer with excellent leadership, organization, and interpersonal communication skills and enjoys working in a professional environment.
The Senior Engineer provides hands-on technical expertise to tackle software design and development challenges. The incumbent also leads and monitors project progress and evaluates and provides recommendations on new database technologies and architectures. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as the technical lead on products and projects, coordinating among Engineering team staff to build features;
- Plays a hands-on role in a wide range of technical areas including software development, architecture, application development, database engineering, and systems testing;
- Mentors and coaches members of the engineering team to produce high quality output;
- Designs and develops prototypes of promising products in collaboration with designers, software and data engineers, and data scientists;
- Develops scalable cloud-based applications and micro-services;
- Leads the execution of data and infrastructure engineering and web development tasks, and
- Applies modern design and development principles to product development and program management, such as lean startup methodologies, user-centered design, and agile development.