About the Position:
This position is with The San Diego Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS). The duty station is San Diego, California.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Serves as a Medical Technician in a Military Entrance Processing Station. Incumbent of this position provides assistance to the examining Medical Officer with applicant examination, identification of physical abnormalities (e.g., missing digits, scoliosis, pes planus), to include discovery of disqualifying enlistment/retention factors, and determination of applicant's fitness for military duty. Other duties include: Conduct standardized medical orientation briefing to applicants; Demonstrate and perform the ortho/neuro examination (24 movements) to applicants; Conduct laboratory tests and examinations; Perform phlebotomy functions; Operate laboratory and medical equipment; Prepare reports of findings; Screen and maintain medical records; and Perform computer data entry utilizing applicable computer programs.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- A pre-placement physical examination is required prior to employment.
- A color perception (vision) examination is required prior to employment.
- A standard drug screening is required prior to employment.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This position has specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties require interaction with youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age on a recurring basis.
- A pre-placement physical examination is required.
- This position requires the ability to physically perform (demonstrate) and evaluate military physical aptitude (maneuvers) tests.
- This position requires successful completion of a color perception (vision) examination.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 (Condition of Employment for Certain Civilian Positions Identified as Critical Under the Department of the Army Drug-Free Federal Workplace Program) requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- All Health Care Providers must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) Training and certification that is sponsored or endorsed by the American Heart Association (AHA). Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification does not supersede BLS completion.
- This position requires the use of restrictive and protective clothing such as surgical gloves and non-exposing footwear.
- This position may require occasional shift work (before 6:00am or after 6:00pm) hours and occasional Saturdays.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: Assisting with physical examinations (such as optical or audiometric tests, Electrocardiogram, urine collection/processing), performing phlebotomy, operating medical equipment (such as audiometers, stereoscopic vision testers, and/or centrifuges), and documenting patients' medical information.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Medical Laboratory Procedures for Receiving and Processing Specimens
- Skill in Performing Medical Laboratory Tests/Examinations
- Ability to Administer Tests During Medical Evaluation
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you MUST meet one (or more) of the education and/or experience requirements listed in the assessment questionnaire.
Please refer to the assessment questionnaire under Minimum Qualification Requirements for the entire list of education and combination of education/experience requirements. View Assessment Questions
You MUST attach a copy of your transcripts (official or unofficial) to your application package.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information in your resume.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education website at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- This is a Career Program 53 (Medical) position.
- Documentation to support Military Spouse Preference needs to be submitted at time of application.
- Applicant's claiming Veteran's Preference must clearly show an entitlement to such preference on the resume/supplemental data submitted.
- Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid or volunteer work.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up to 90 days beyond the closing date of the announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format.
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements: You MUST submit a copy of your transcript if you wish to substitute your education for experience. If you claim qualifications based on education and do not submit a transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualifications determination and you may be found "not qualified. See: Transcripts and Licenses.
If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents follow the directions located at: Faxing Applications and Documents. The Vacancy ID is 1796519. You will need the questionnaire, View Occupational Questionnaire, to complete your faxed application
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program. In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, September 19, 2016 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. Faxed documents must be completely transmitted by 11:59p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the closing date of the announcement.
The Department of the Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
Central Resume Processing Center
US Army Corps of Engineers South Pacific
CPA CENTER ATTN PECH-WER-H
Sacramento, CA 95814-2922
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/449885100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.